This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

Black women have been marginalized and discriminated against for decades just for the sole reason of being Black. We have been told that we are unattractive for multiple reasons such as having nappy hair, big lips, curvy bodies, or more. We are judged for aspects of our bodies that people like the Kardashians gain through surgery, but are praised for. As Black women, we face prejudice from within our own community, which is considered colorism. We are victims of domestic violence and murders every day, but in most instances, our cases are not broadcasted or talked about. Not to mention, laws are being emplaced to protect Black women from discrimination. Black women and girls are still being suspended or fired for having certain hairstyles, such as braids to protect their natural hair. Though progress is being made, it is moving as slow as a turtle and new problems evolve every day affecting Black women. 

There are Black women that stand up and discuss issues or violence that affect Black women, which broadcasting news outlets rarely share. Below will be a list of four Black content creators that are all women and have YouTube channels. 

Chrissie

Chrissie is a YouTube channel that analyzes issues that affect Black women such as colorism and discrimination or dating, and more. Besides discussing those issues, the channel is a way for Black women to also receive advice based on issues involving such topics. The channel is run by a Black woman named Chrissie and instead of showing her face, she shows images that relate to the story she is narrating. She also describes the hypocrisy she sees in certain situations that involve dark skin Black women vs light skin Black women or women that are not Black. She has taken it upon herself to speak up for the issues Black women face even when she is attacked. This is why I appreciate her and would like to spread her channel so others can watch her commentary. 

Currently, Chrissie has over 188,000 subscribers and has a second YouTube channel called, “Feminine Strategy & Lifestyle,” which has 47,700 subscribers. She has an Instagram where she possesses the name @Chrissieway

Leah Gordone

Leah Gordone is a YouTuber that sustains the same name on her YouTube channel. When she is not making vlogs about her life she focuses on Black issues that affect Black women every day broken into three different categories. One of her categories is designated to Black women and girls that are missing or have been killed. She brings attention to the violence that devastates Black women in the community every day and is not broadcasted amongst the news. She also talks about colorism and other trending topics that involve Black women. Gordone is an amazing YouTuber that catches my attention because she is unbiased and stands up for Black issues that even the public continues to ignore. 

Currently, Gordone has over 200,000 subscribers and a second channel called, “Sincerely, Leah.” She also has an Instagram sharing the same name @leahgordone

Paris Milan

Paris Milan is a YouTuber that talks about issues pertaining to the Black community in general and more often Black women. She discusses colorism that affects Black women more than people think though not as much as racism. She also talks about interracial dating and the hypocrisy that takes place when Black women decide to date outside their race. On her channel, she discusses Black women and the role we play within the Black community which is always to be the savior. To add on, she talks about trending topics that surround the Black community and crimes that have taken place against Black women and girls. Paris Milan is an unbiased commentator that plays devil’s advocate to understand both sides. In the end, her opinion is revealed and though she might understand the other side, she will hold her own on why she disagrees. She is amazing and truly cares about Black women and bringing positivity to our culture. 

As of now, Paris Milan has over 279,000 subscribers and has an Instagram under the name @parismilan_yt

I am Eloho 

I am Eloho, is a YouTube channel hosted by Nigerian American commentator, Eloho. She does commentary on different topics that happen within the Black community. She talks about Black people in Hollywood and issues that still happen in Hollywood involving Black women. She also discussed colorism and the scrutiny Black women face within our own community from Black men. Such as rapper and actor, Snoop Dogg, who attacked singer, Ari Lennox, for a hairstyle she had. Also, he scrutinized a woman with a before and after photo of her without makeup and with it. Both women are Black women with dark beautiful skin and due to his antics, people went on to taunt the women. On her channel, Ehloho discusses affairs like this and gives her unbiased opinion criticizing those who are famous like Snoop Dog. During her analysis, she always has a positive vibe that brings out the best in viewers even when the situation is negative. She doesn’t always focus on the negative, she does focus on positives and celebrate Black women that have accomplished something. 

As of early 2021, I am Eloho has over 290,000 subscribers and can be followed on Instagram under the name @iam_eloho.

Imani Agbionu

George Mason University '21

Imani is a senior majoring in Marketing from Washington, DC where she has lived her whole life. Her mother is American and her father is Nigerian. During free time when she is not studying she likes to read ebooks from Amazon with her favorite author right now being Bethany Kris. She also enjoys talking to people about a variety of topics focusing on politics, movies, life, or other trending subjects. As you can see, she is an introvert so streaming platforms such as Netfilx, Disney+, and more are her best friends. She loves to write about different topics as well sometimes people might agree or disagree, but that is what conversation is for! That is why she is extremely ecstatic to write for Her Campus and can possibly make new friends and people that enjoy her writing.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com