This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

At the beginning of the semester, we all had to purchase our fair share of textbooks. Some of us rented them for a discounted price. Others of us didn’t have that option. Either the books were brand new editions, specific to our school/course, or that wasn’t an option given to us. If the books you got were purchased at the full price of the book, no worries! There are plenty of places you can sell these books to get some money back. Here are five of the best places to sell them.

Chegg

Chegg is a well-known bookselling site. They buy books from students as well. You put in the ISBN and see if they will buy your book. If they do, they will pay for the shipping label for the package and you’ll get your money after they get the book.

Amazon

It’s a little bit complicated selling your textbooks with Amazon because they require you to create a marketplace individual seller’s account. Other than that, it’s relatively easy to sell on the site. There are videos on their site that show you how to sell your textbooks. You can choose whether or not you want to ship the books yourself or have Amazon ship them for you.

Another option available for some books would be to trade them into Amazon. You would be selling your book to them in exchange for credit on your account.

Knetbooks

I love Knetbooks. Someone introduced me to this site my Sophomore year to rent my textbooks from and I’ve been in love with it ever since. In order to sell your books back to Knetbooks, all you have to do is put in the ISBN to search for the book and then sell it to them. The offer direct deposit for you to get your money.

Barnes and Noble

If you bought your textbooks from your schools Barnes and Noble bookstore there is a chance that you can sell them back to the bookstore and get some change. This option won’t get you the most money because the bookstore tends to be a bit stingy. Doing it online, you have to put in the ISBN. The books you’re selling back to them have to have at least a 10-dollar value. Another downside is that you have to pay for shipping the books.

I, personally, would not recommend this option over the others unless you’re able to go directly into Barnes and Noble and sell the book back to them. Although it puts money into your pockets, it will, also, take a chunk out if you have to ship it back to them.

Facebook

If your school has Facebook groups, it will be easiest to sell your textbooks. I personally love this option because of the power it gives me as a seller. In this scenario, you would be an independent seller which means you can set the price for your textbook yourself. If you bought the book for 200 dollars, you could sell it for 100 or 150 if you wanted. People use these groups because it’s very convenient due to the person buying your book not having to wait in line at Barnes and Noble and not having to wait for shipping.

There you have it, collegiettes! Five reputable places you can sell your books back to over winter break after the first semester ends or during summer recess when the second semester is over.

Zeairah Webb

George Mason University '22

Zeairah is a senior at George Mason University. She spends most of her time reading, doing homework, and watching Netflix. Her favorite color is yellow and her favorite animals are dogs. She is double majoring in marketing and management with a minor in journalism with hopes of one day studying intellectual property law. She aspires to be many things such as a legal consultant/attorney, a creative director for Disney, or a travel/lifestyle writer for a magazine.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com