Best Cafes for George Mason University students on the Orange Line 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

Commuting to GMU on Metro’s orange line? looking for a new place in washington d.c.? Here are my favorite cafes for a quick stop. 

Looking for a new cafe or coffee shop easily accessible from Washington D.C.’s orange line? Want a fun way to spend your weekend at George Mason? Here are my favorite cafes and recommendations. 

Related: Rose Ave Bakery: The Sweetest Spot in D.C.

1. Assembly in Rosslyn

Located right above the Rosslyn stop, Assembly calls itself “a modern food hall” and is a super cool multi-restaurant experience (Assembly). I commute home on the Orange on the weekend and sometimes I just need a quick snack or bathroom break, and Assembly is my go-to. Their coffee shop is called Big Day and, in my opinion, has one of the best iced chai lattes in D.C. 

1. Tatte in Foggy Bottom

A short walk from the Foggy Bottom-GWU stop, Tatte is an aesthetic and welcoming cafe and a great study spot. I love their hot teas and iced lattes and it’s the perfect place for a cute Instagram photo. When my best friend, who goes to Temple University, visited and told me she wanted cute pictures, I took her to Tatte. In my sophomore year, my roommate and I would often head there on a Saturday and study for a few hours.

1. DUA DC Coffee by McPherson 

A two minute walk from the McPherson Square stop lies DUA DC Coffee. They have an adorable little shop and super cute dinnerware– meaning your latte and croissant instagram story will be unmatched. They’re also extremely well-rated with a 4.8/5 rating and 495 reviews, so you’re sure to enjoy the experience.

1. Timgad Cafe in Federal Triangle

Feeling a little homesick? Looking for a cozy cafe with a small town vibe? Timgad Cafe is the place for you. Their interior is just like the small town New Jersey cafes I grew up with despite being in downtown D.C. They also do really cool latte art! They also have smoothies and sandwiches if coffee isn’t your thing.  

1. Call Your Mother Deli in Eastern Market

I have yet to make it over to Call Your Mother but several of my friends swear by it. The outside is so adorable and fun and the inside is just as cute, painted with pinks and teal. I have also been told that they have the best bagels in D.C. and as a New Jersey/New York metropolitan area native I have to check that out. According to reviews, their drinks are good too! Let me know if you try this one!

Katarina Benson

George Mason University '25

Katarina Benson is the Editor in Chief at the Her Campus at George Mason chapter. She oversees all articles published at George Mason University. They are currently a junior majoring in English with a dual cultural studies and film studies concentration. Beyond Her Campus, Kat works as the public relations student coordinator and as an editorial assistant at George Mason. In her free time, Kat enjoys playing tennis, reading, and trying new cafes. She's a big fan of 90s shows and movies and loves to travel. They also post about books and reading at @strawberryblondefolklore on instagram.