This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

At the young age of 21, Avis Shackelford, a public relations major has done quite a lot for herself at George Mason University. She is a spry and career-savvy lady, who has a bright future ahead of her. We could all learn a few tips on how to manage a busy schedule, while maintaining above a 3.0 grade point average from her. Keep up the good work Avis, we wish you all the best!

What made you choose George Mason?

I’m from Richmond, Virginia, so Mason was far enough from home, but still in-state. I also love the fact that Mason is so close to Washington, D.C. Being a communication major, there are plenty of opportunities available to me in the D.C. area.

What is your involvement on campus and why?

I am a part of quite a few organizations including a non-profit organization called “Chase Dreams, Not Boys”, PRSSA, and Mason Ambassadors. I am also a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. and I work for the Office of Housing and Residence Life. I love giving back to my community and mentoring youth. All of these organizations allow me to do those things.

What do you like to do in your spare time?

When I do have time to relax, I like to spend time with family and friends. I also love to read a good book or magazine. It’s rare that I get a lot of time to myself, so when I do get it I take full advantage.

Who is your celebrity role model(s) and why?

I really admire Michelle Obama for all the work she does as a first lady. She is one of the few first ladies who has maintained a fun, down-to-earth presence in the White House. The way she started her career, organized her own healthy living campaign, and is still a mother to two daughters is very admirable in my eyes.

Do you have any internships? If so, what do you do?

I work for a non-profit company called KaBOOM! The company builds playgrounds for kids across the country and encourages healthy living and playing for kids and families everywhere. I work as a communication intern, and I help organize and strategize the company’s social media.

After college, where do you want to see yourself?

I see myself working in the Public Relations industry as either a consultant for brand management or non-profit organizations.

What are your career aspirations?

I aspire to do anything that is Communication/Events Management related. I want to start working within a company, then eventually work my way up to owning my own PR boutique.

What is your ideal Saturday night?

I love spending Saturday night with friends, either staying in and having a movie night, or going out on the town in D.C. That is, if I don’t have any work to finish.

How has your experience at Mason changed over the years?

When I first came to Mason, I was overwhelmed with all the possibilities my school had to offer. I took chances and became heavily involved my sophomore year. Now I can say that I am a student leader, and I am encouraging underclassmen to take risks, join organizations, and become a leader in the Mason community.

Is there anything else you would like to accomplish before graduation?

Before I graduate, I would love to have experience working with a big corporate PR company, such as Ketchum or Edelman. I want that big company experience, and there is no greater place to do that than D.C. I also want to get the most out of Washington, D.C. including visiting more historical sites and exploring museums/monuments.

Christen Roberts

George Mason University

Christen is a communication major, concentrating in public relations and double minoring in events management and journalism at George Mason University. She serves as Co-Vice President of the National Society of Collegiate Scholars and as an executive board director of the Patriot Activities Council in the Office of Student Involvement. She is also a member of the GMU PINK street team. When she is not working an event on-campus or at the gym, she likes to shop and catch up on the latest trends in the fashion magazines. She is currently obsessed with organic food and Whole Foods. You can catch her on Twitter @C0SM0_girl.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com