This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

On November 6, 2020, American actor Johnny Depp announced via social media that he would be stepping down from the movie series “Fantastic Beasts.” In the film, he played Gellert Grindelwald, a dark dangerous wizard for the first two films and was supposed to reprise his role for the third film. Warner Brothers chairman, Toby Emmerich, thought it would be best to sever ties with the actor after his life and image became damaged due to his relationship with ex-wife, Amber Heard. 

Four days before Depp informed fans of his departure from the film series he was again in the news. This time it was because he lost his defamation case against British newspaper “The Sun.” In 2018, there was an article where Johnny Depp was labeled a “wifebeater” after his wife accused him of physical and mental abuse during their marriage. 

Those two events happened this year back to back though prior to these events Depp’s career has taken a turn for the worse. He lost his role as Captain Jack Sparrow in the film series “Pirates of the Caribbean” with him starring in all five films. During his divorce from Heard, he paid her seven million dollars during their settlement to finalized their divorce. 

As a woman, I can no longer sit back and say that I don’t see the biased nature taking place and that Amber Heard is a true victim. I am not saying this because I am a fan of Johnny Depp, because I enjoy Heards movies as well, but because of the audio clip evidence and Heard’s past violent antics. Her accusations of abuse against Depp seemed to me as a way to benefit off of victimhood and advance her career. Instead of being held accountable for her violence against Johnny Depp her career blossomed while his stagnated.   

For multiple reasons I am holding Amber Heard accountable, one being that this year Johnny Depp released audio of Heard admitting to hitting him on multiple occasions. In the audio, she admits to hitting him, but not punching him though he states it was a punch. She constantly curses at him and degrades him by calling him a “baby” and even went as far as to tell him that she can’t promise to not get physical again. The worst thing she said is even if he were to tell the courts that she abused him they wouldn’t believe him because she is a woman and he is a man. 

Johnny Depp’s accusations of abuse from the hands of Amber Heard is not the first time Heard has been accused of abuse. In 2009, Heard was arrested after she hit her then-girlfriend, Tasya van Ree, who is a photographer. Heard was charged, but the charges have been expunged and the two now have a friendship. 

The point is that Johnny Depp has provided an abundance of evidence against Heard including audio. She provided none with a few photos that have been proven to be fakes, but somehow her career hasn’t been affected. Warner Bros. has decided to part ways with Depp, but not with Heard who stars in the hit DC Comics movie trilogy, “Aquaman.” 

Though Hollywood hasn’t rejected Heard as of yet the public has with multiple petitions started to have Heard removed from Aquaman. Also, petitions started to have Johnny Depp earn his roles back in “Pirates of the Caribbean” and “Fantastic Beasts.” Also, last year Depp sued Heard for $50 million due to defamation of character. The battle is continuing between the two with Heard counter suing for harassment.  

I am supporting Depp 100% because to have a woman lie about abuse and take advantage of movements such as #MeToo is disgraceful. During marches for women, she gave speeches about being a survivor and standing for women’s rights though in reality she was making a mockery of it and was an abuser herself.  I will not respect or stand by someone that lied about abuse to further her career. I support and stand by victims, and in this case, that is Johnny Depp.

Imani Agbionu

George Mason University '21

Imani is a senior majoring in Marketing from Washington, DC where she has lived her whole life. Her mother is American and her father is Nigerian. During free time when she is not studying she likes to read ebooks from Amazon with her favorite author right now being Bethany Kris. She also enjoys talking to people about a variety of topics focusing on politics, movies, life, or other trending subjects. As you can see, she is an introvert so streaming platforms such as Netfilx, Disney+, and more are her best friends. She loves to write about different topics as well sometimes people might agree or disagree, but that is what conversation is for! That is why she is extremely ecstatic to write for Her Campus and can possibly make new friends and people that enjoy her writing.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com