This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

Who cares about the actual Super Bowl game when the main event is the Halftime show? Last year’s Super Bowl Halftime LVII featured worldwide popstar Rihanna, while this year’s LVIII Halftime show had Usher take the stage, accompanied by multiple surprise guests. It is also the second year Apple Music has been hosting the halftime show instead of Pepsi.

Usher’s first Super Bowl halftime show was a huge success, earning up to 30.1 million views, up 5% from the previous year according to Forbes magazine. His performance featured incredible choreography and costume design, with his setlist consisting entirely of hits. The pop star played a total of 14 songs, with five surprise guests joining him on stage.

In all honesty, the beginning of Usher’s show was a bit of a slow start, with his microphone not picking up his voice during his opening song “Caught Up.” The show started to pick up during his fourth song when he performed the popular hit “Love in This Club.”

From there, Usher started bringing out surprise guests, starting with Alicia Keys singing “Ain’t Got You” before transitioning into their 2004 hit song, “My Boo.” Alicia’s performance was amazing, and she looked stunning in her sparkly red jumpsuit.

After Alicia left the stage, Usher brought out H.E.R., will.i.am, Ludacris, and Lil Jon as surprise guests. I was particularly impressed with H.E.R.’s guitar solo, although I was disappointed that she didn’t sing.

Usher’s first Super Bowl halftime show was a resounding success, with many fans expressing admiration for his performance. Some Usher fans were disappointed when he didn’t bring out worldwide pop star Justin Bieber or controversial rapper Kayne West. However, the surprise guests that did make an appearance still managed to leave an impression on the audience.

It’s no secret that the Super Bowl Halftime show has become a massive event in its own right, with many fans tuning in just for the halftime performance. The Halftime show is an opportunity for major artists to showcase their talents on stage, and Usher did not disappoint.

One of the standout features of Usher’s performance was the incredible choreography and his backup dancers. The costume design was top-notch, with Usher wearing a stylish all-white suit from the beginning and then transforming into a black and blue sparkly suit that perfectly complemented not only roller skating but his dance moves later on. 

The Super Bowl Halftime show has come a long way since its inception in the 1960s. What started as a simple marching band performance has evolved into a massive stage production featuring some of the biggest names in music.

Overall, Usher’s Super Bowl Halftime show was a phenomenal success, featuring amazing choreography, costume design, and surprise guest performances. While some fans may have been disappointed that certain guests didn’t make an appearance, the overall performance was truly unforgettable. The Halftime show has become a massive event in its own right, and Usher proved that he has what it takes to captivate an audience on a global stage.

How would you rate Usher’s performance? Would you say he did better than Rihanna? Where would he fall in best Super Bowl performances? 

Jamie Gholson

George Mason University '25

Jamie (she/her) is a junior at George Mason University, majoring in Communication with a concentration in Journalism. This is Jamie's first year as a staff writer for the HER Campus website. She aspires to be a medical writer in the future. Jamie enjoys writing as an outlet to express what is happening in the world. In Jamie's free time, she enjoys reading and exploring the D.C. area.