9 Simple Ways You Can Save Water

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

Every day, millions of children around the world don’t have safe, clean water to drink. In poor countries like Haiti, children have to walk long distances to collect clean drinking water and therefore cannot attend school and receive education.

Think about all the water you use on a daily basis. Can you save? Here are nine simple ways you can save water.

1. Turn off the tap while brushing your teeth and washing your hands.

You can waste as much as 6 litres of water per minute while leaving the tap on.

2. Take shorter showers.

Some shower heads use as much as 6.45 litres of water per minute.

3. Wait to run the dishwasher or laundry machine once it’s full.

Half loads can waste many litres of water, which adds up.

4. Unplug electrical cords that you’re not using.

Power plants use thousands of litres of water

5. Fix any leaks around your home.

A leaking tap can waste 15 liters of water a day.

6. Reuse pasta water.

Rather than dumping litres of pasta water down the drain, find ways to reuse it such as watering plants (but wait for it to cool down first).

7. Wait until the early morning or late evening to water outdoor plants.

Less water will evaporate with cooler morning and evening temperatures. 

8. Ditch the watering hose for a watering can.

Watering hoses can use up to 1,000 litres of water per hour.

9. Go to car washes that conserve and reuse their wash water. 

Car wash water doesn’t have to be thrown away and can be recycled to use for other car washes.

With the purchase of any size of Acqua di Gio, Acqua di Gio Profumo, and Gioia Collection fragrances, Giorgio Armani will donate the equivalent of four months of clean drinking water to UNICEF to help a child in need. 100% of the donations of this year’s Acqua for Life campaign are going to Haiti.

Help UNICEF provide clean drinking water to children in need. 

Juliane Veloso

George Mason University

Juliane is a Her Campus alumna. She started her time in HC as a Writer for HC George Mason. Her passion for HC led her to work on the National level as a Campus Expansion Assistant, Campus Correspondent, Chapter Advisor, and Viral Content Writer. Juliane is now a Digital Strategist for a Fortune 500 company. Follow her on Instagram: @julianemariev