8 Inexpensive Christmas Gifts for the Cheapskate Shopper

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

If you’re anything like me, you hate spending money. The holidays are an occasion where your bank account becomes emptier than usual as tradition dictates that you buy gifts for friends and family. But fear not! Cheap holiday gifts are available in abundance. Here are eight ideas for some inexpensive gifts when funds are low:

1. Fuzzy socks

Price: $2 – $10

This is a great cheap gift, especially in winter when it is ferociously cold outside. Your friend or family member will appreciate the warm, snuggly foot-hug that a pair of fuzzy socks will give. Many fuzzy socks come in two packs, so you can get twice the gifts for the same price.

Cheapness bonus points: buy a 50-cent pair of fuzzy socks secondhand at Goodwill.

2. Cookies!

Price: Mostly free, depending on how well-stocked your kitchen is.

It’s simple and cheap to whip up a chocolate chip cookie recipe. Give your cookies in a decorative box and you’ve got a thoughtful and delicious gift to give someone (or multiple people if you make a large enough batch).

Cheapness bonus points: make place-and-bake cookies from the back of your fridge and put them in the decorative box instead. No one will know the difference.

3. Cards Against Humanity

Price: $25

For the friend who loves card games and is also a terrible person, Cards Against Humanity is the perfect gift.  It might be the most expensive item on this list, but arguably worth every penny in laughs.

Cheapness bonus points: download the free Cards Against Humanity PDF off the official website and email it to them with the subject line “Merry Christmas”.

4. Touchscreen Gloves

Price: Under $10

Touchscreen gloves can be expensive, but you can definitely find good pairs that are under $10, such as this pair from Amazon.

Cheapness bonus points: cut off the fingers of a old pair of gloves – technically, they’re now touch screen compatible.

5. Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix in a Jar

Price: $5

Make a huge batch of hot chocolate and you’ve got gifts for all your friends! Stick it all in Mason jars with some peppermint and you look like you’re a craft goddess.

Cheapness bonus points: instead of making the hot chocolate mix yourself, use Swiss Miss from your cabinet and stick that in a Mason jar instead. Same basic principle, less money spent on ingredients.

6. Five-Dollar Movies at Target

Price: $5 (obviously)

You can find surprisingly quality movies in the $5 movie section at Target. You’ll have to sort through a bunch of terrible movies, but you can find gems in there most days.

Cheapness bonus points: go to Wal-Mart instead and raid the $1 movie bin. Who among your friends wouldn’t love to receive a special edition Kindergarten Cop DVD?

7. Take Them on a Coffee Date

Price: $3 – $5

Togetherness and a cup of coffee from is your gift. If you’re feeling very generous take them to Starbucks and let them order a grande Frappuccino.

Cheapness bonus points: make them get a small black coffee with no add-ins.

8. Regifting

Price: FREE

Got a gift card to a restaurant you hate? A random jar candle that you can’t stand the scent of? You can now cross two people off your gift list.

Cheapness bonus points: There’s no possible way to be cheaper than this, short of not giving gifts. Regifting is the ultimate in cheap gift giving. Congratulations, you’ve maxed out your cheapness credit card.

Julianne Woodson

George Mason University

George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com