Open laptop sitting on a desk
Open laptop sitting on a desk
Courtesy of Anna Bertino

7 Habits I Picked Up in Quarantine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

Folks, this whole quarantine thing is not for me. It’s vitally important to stay home for the sake of everyone’s health during this pandemic, but it’s hard. I’m sharing some of the habits that I’ve picked up in the hopes that anyone reading this will know that we’re all adjusting and coping differently, but that we’re all in this together! 

1. Going to bed late

When I was living on campus, I went to bed around 10 p.m. Now, it’s closer to midnight or 1 a.m. I don’t know if it’s because I’m still adjusting to my “new” old bedroom at my parents’ house, I’m doing less physically, or something completely different, but I’m just not getting tired. One trick that has been helping get a grip on my sleep routine has been listening to podcasts or calm music while falling asleep. 

2. Diffusing my hair

I have a little more time in the mornings now since my commute to class is now just walking from my bed to my desk, so I’ve been experimenting with different hairstyles. My favorite trick I’ve discovered is diffusing my hair! I have wavy/curly hair and have always struggled to style it. After a YouTube rabbit hole, I discovered the diffusing method. Basically, it’s a bowl-shaped attachment you put onto the nozzle of your blow dryer that disperses air and heat to help your curls and waves have more definition. After a little trial and error, along with my regular hair oil and curl cream, I found that I get a lot more volume and definition to my hair using a diffuser! 

3. Drinking more coffee

Before sheltering in place, I was not a coffee person. I’d have the occasional cup here and there to mix things up, but as an on-campus student, I only had access to dining hall coffee. I drank a lot of herbal tea, though. Now that I’m living at home, I have access to a French Press, fancy coffee grounds, and oat milk. Game changer. I’ve perfected my technique and can now make a delicious oat milk latte whenever I want. An extra jolt of energy is always welcome, especially nowadays that I’m struggling to stay motivated with online work. I’m a little worried about how I’ll keep up my new addiction once I move back to campus, but we’ll cross that bridge when we come to it. 

4. Art kits

I absolutely love crafting, especially when I’m feeling stressed. For me, crafting is self-care. However, it’s been a little tough to get crafting supplies as Virginia has been placed under a stay-at-home order. My new favorite work-around? Ordering kits from small businesses. Not only does this help support local artists, but you also get all your crafting supplies delivered in the mail without having to leave the house!  I recently ordered a circular weaving kit from Little King Art, which came in the mail a couple of days after placing my order. I had a lot of fun learning a new craft, and I definitely recommend checking out the other kits offered by Little King Art or other local artists! 

5. Coding + portfolio development 

Full disclosure: I started this project for a coding class I’m taking this semester. But it turns out, HTML and CSS don’t have to be scary. Learning to code this semester has been super challenging, but after three months I have successfully created my very own website! Being stuck at home has given me a lot of extra time to spend working on my portfolio and professional skills so that once quarantine is over, I’m ready to secure the bag in my next job application! 

6. Being online 24/7

This is definitely the worst new habit I’ve picked up. I’m constantly online, whether I’m on my laptop doing work or scrolling on my phone for hours. For me, it’s been a big distraction. While it’s nice to be able to connect with friends I can’t see in person right now, it’s also been pretty mentally draining. Aside from the physical strain on my eyes from staring at a screen all day, I’m sucked into the pandemic anxiety rampant online. While it’s important to stay informed, the volume of coronavirus content is overwhelming and stressful to sort through. I also don’t take care of myself the way I should when I’m glued to my laptop trying to keep up with online school all day. It takes a conscious effort to unplug and take a walk to give my brain and body a break. 

7. Cooking 

Born from going to the grocery store as an excuse to leave the house, I’ve gotten into cooking! If you know me, you’ll know this is a big development. Trying a new recipe has been a fun challenge to break up my day a little, with yummy results. I’ve explored a lot of culinary directions, from pizza grilled cheese (add tomato/marinara sauce, ham, and basil and press in a waffle maker) to fancy ramen (recipe featured on our Instagram under the “Anna’s Day” highlight!). It’s a small addition to my daily routine that has helped me feel more in control and productive!

Anna Bertino

George Mason University '21

Anna is a Communication major at George Mason concentrating in Public Relations and minoring in English. She is a social media editor for the HC George Mason chapter. Anna is also the president of Mason's Equestrian Club and Show Team. When not writing or riding, she can be found drinking tea, satisfying her sweet tooth, or planning her next vacation.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com