This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

The holidays can be pretty depressing when spent alone. Sure, you have your friends and family, but sometimes you want that someone special to curl up on the couch with and watch those sappy Hallmark Christmas movies. Maybe someday, you and I both will have that (if you already do have that, I secretly kinda hate you). But for now, rather than wallowing in my own singledom, I decided to look at all the reasons to celebrate being single during the holidays-and love it.Via Shutterstock

1. No need to spend time worrying about how to impress your significant other’s parents.

Via Giphy

2. No meeting their parents..cousins, aunts–none of that.

Via Giphy

3. No need to worry about splitting the holiday’s between their parents house and your own. You can literally spend that time however you want.

Via Giphy

4. No agonizing over what to get him (or his mother). You can use the extra money to do something special for yourself. You deserve it.

Via Giphy

5. No pressure to meet someone else’s expectations.

Via Giphy

6. Realizing that you make you happy before anyone else ever can, and that’s what matters.

Via Giphy

So, rather than getting depressed and feeling that you are missing out on something, look at all the reasons you have to enjoy your singledom. Your special someone will come and you will have plenty of Christmases and holidays to spend with them. You will get to watch those sappy Hallmark movies, watch the Christmas parade, and put the tree up together. For now, be happy and celebrate with the friends and family around you that love you. Let their love be enough to warm you this holiday season.  

Abby Idisi

Hampton U

George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com