This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

As COVID-19 cases spike across the country, talks of a second big lockdown are in motion. Unlike earlier this year, now we have somewhat of an idea of what it feels like to stay inside, social distance, and work from home. This next time around, you can use all of your extra time to your advantage with these COVID-19 friendly ideas. 

1. Do the things you wish you could do when you’re busy

If you’re anything like me, leaving chores like deep cleaning your closet or reorganizing your kitchen cabinets get pushed to the end of the to-do list, never to be actually completed. If you have some extra time while staying in, you might as well take the time to spruce up your space and finish all of those random chores that never seem to get done.

2. Take up a side hustle

There are tons of ways to bring in some extra cash, even when you’re stuck at home. Try out designing shirts or stickers on RedBubble, sell your unwanted clothes on Poshmark or Depop, or try creating products to sell on Etsy. The possibilities are endless!

3. Develop new healthy habits

Over the past few months, it’s been easy to fall out of any healthy habits you once had. While you’re stuck inside, you might as well take the time to develop healthy habits and start the new year strong! Develop a fun new at-home workout routine, find new healthy recipes to try, and try getting on a new sleep schedule. Some of my favorite things to do are the Chloe Ting ab workout, going on socially distanced walks outside, and YouTube dance videos (it doesn’t even feel like a workout, it’s tons of fun!)

4. Try out a new look

When you’re not seeing anybody, it’s the perfect time to experiment with your look! Try out some crazy new makeup, dye your hair, or experiment with new outfit ideas. You can do whatever you want, plus you don’t have to worry about making an emergency salon appointment. Have fun with it!

5. Take time for yourself

This past year has been exhausting. It’s perfectly normal and healthy to take time to yourself. Practice some self-care, pick up a hobby you’ve been wanting to try, or just relax in bed and watch some Netflix. You don’t have to be productive just because you have extra time – in fact, it’s productive to take care of yourself and your mental health. 

Remember to stay inside, wash your hands, wear your mask, and do whatever you can to stop the spread. Eventually, quarantine will be a thing of the past, but for now, it’s up to all of us to do our part in preventing the pandemic from spreading.

Lexi Reyes

George Mason University '21

Lexi is a senior at George Mason University majoring in Communication with a double concentration in journalism and public relations. She has an interest in online journalism as well as social media, and is the social media editor for the school newspaper as well as a small business in Northern Virginia. When she's not writing, you can find her at the thrift store or in the Chick-Fil-A drive through!
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com