This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

If you live in Virginia or are just visiting, there are a ton of fun things to do this summer! Some are free, and some are fairly inexpensive. Take advantage and make the most of your summer here in Virginia!

1. Theme parks

While they might be a drive away, Virginia has some pretty cool amusement parks for those who love roller coasters and water parks. Kings Dominion and Busch Gardens are two of the most popular ones but there’s also Water Country USA in York County and Splashdown Water Park in Manassas. Kings Dominion just added a new roller coaster and they have fireworks and other fun events during the summer!

Via Our Sweet Adventures

2. Hiking

Virginia is a beautiful place! There are a bunch of hiking spots and trails to take in the beauty that fills the state. Great Falls Park in McLean is less than half an hour from George Mason’s campus but if you wanted to make the drive and really take in beautiful views, Shenandoah National Park is full of breathtaking views and they usually have fun events throughout the summer time.

Via Dream, Plan, Go

3. Luray Caverns

Do something out of the ordinary and travel underground to see how rocks and crystals are formed. Luray Caverns is a geologist’s dream, it’s filled with beautiful, incredible rock formations. Get a group of friends and see what beauty lies underneath.

Via Luray Caverns

4. Beaches

We can’t talk about summer activities without mentioning the beach. Virginia Beach is the most popular beach in the state and although it’s farther away, there are plenty of fun things to do. Walk on the boardwalk or just lay out in the sun, you’ll definitely find something to do.

Via Visit Virginia Beach

5. Vineyards

If you’re 21 and up, vineyards in Virginia are definitely a must. Taste some great wine while learning the process of how it’s all made!

Via Virginia.org

Whether it’s soaking up the sun at the beach or sipping wine at your favorite vineyard, there’s something for everyone in Virginia! Have a great summer, collegiettes!

Jackie Lorincz

George Mason University '19

Hi! I’m Jackie, a senior majoring in Environmental science. I’m also an active sister of Gamma Phi Beta Sorority. Writing has always been a hobby of mine and I’m excited for you to read my work! In my free time I love to read and bake, and I’m a huge animal lover, especially dogs!
Nancy Nyamaa

George Mason University '19

Nancy is currently a senior at George Mason majoring in communication (concentration in journalism) and minoring in conflict analysis & resolution. She's passionate about true crime podcasts, baking, and editing. After she graduates she hopes to pursue a career in journalism and eventually go to grad school.