This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

Looking for new music? Here’s a mix of female artists that have received critical acclaim for their latest projects. They represent a variety of genres so hopefully there’s something for every kind of collegiette to enjoy.

1. Mitski

Via The Fader

Singer-songwriter Mitski Miyawaki, known simply onstage as Mitski, has gained all-around praise for the release of her fourth album, Be the Cowboy, this past August. Be the Cowboy navigates between struggles of love, fame and loneliness, all while jumping between sounds that are moody and upbeat.  Personal favorites from the album are “A Pearl,” “Washing Machine Heart” and “Remember My Name,” but across 14 tracks there’s a lot to love.

2. Rina Sawayama

Via The Fader

British-Japanese model-turned-singer Rina Sawayama is bringing Britney Spears-esque, glittery pop into 2018. Since the release of her first mini-album last fall titled, Rina, fans and critics alike are excited for her next project. Rina is a mere eight tracks fueled by infectious synth and Sawayama’s strong vocals. Along with the album, she has a number of singles, including her latest release, “Cherry.” “Tunnel Vision,” “Cyber Stockholm Syndrome” and “Where U Are” are my personal favorites.

3. King Princess

Via Billboard

“I hate it when dudes try to chase me,” sings Mikaela Straus–who goes by King Princess onstage–over warm piano chords in the opening of her hit debut-single, “1950.” It’s a perfect slow jam and an instant classic. The 19-year-old Brooklyn native released her first EP, Make My Bed, at the start of the summer. In five tracks, King Princess sings of falling in and out of love, unapologetic of her sexuality. While “1950,” has persistently remained my favorite, “Talia” is a close second.

4. NIKI

Via Highsnobiety

NIKI is among the core group of artists under 88rising, a mass media company based in New York City, which include other Asian artists such as Joji and Rich Brian. Her debut album, Zephyr, came out last May and is comprised of eight tracks heavily infused with R&B and traces of pop. NIKI’s vocal talent shines through the album–warm, strong, and confident. “Vintage” and “Say My Name” are easily my favorite songs on the album.

5. Noname

Via NY Mag

Noname dances between the line of singing and rapping. In 2016, the Chicago rapper released her debut album titled, Telefone, and it became an instant hit. The album highlighted Noname’s talent for smooth, poetic verses and charming delivery. Noname has returned with, Room 25, which was dropped this past September. The new album proves that Noname has honed her skills even further. From Room 25, I like “Montego Bae” and “With You.” And from Telefone, “Diddy Bop,” “Sunny Duet” and “Shadow Man” will always be favorites.

I hope you’ve found some new music to love. Happy listening, collegiettes!

Sarah Mae Dizon

George Mason University '21

Sarah Mae Dizon is a sophomore at George Mason University majoring in Communication with a minor in Social Justice and Human Rights. She is a proud Filipina-American who, in between cups of coffee, likes to write a thing or two.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com