This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

Fall is here and movies are headed your way! Sometimes it’s easier to sit in your dorm and watch Netflix all day, but take some off and head to the movie theater! Grab a couple friends, eat some popcorn, and check out some of the must see movies of the year! 

Fury

April, 1945. As the Allies make their final push in the European Theatre, a battle-hardened army sergeant named Wardaddy (Brad Pitt) commands a Sherman tank and her five-man crew on a deadly mission behind enemy lines. Outnumbered and outgunned, and with a rookie soldier thrust into their platoon, Wardaddy and his men face overwhelming odds in their heroic attempts to strike at the heart of Nazi Germany.

Jimi: All Is by My Side

OutKast’s André Benjamin stars as Jimi Hendrix in this revealing biopic from Academy Award-winning writer-director John Ridley (12 Years A Slave). Covering a year in Hendrix’s life from 1966-67 as an unknown backup guitarist playing New York’s Cheetah Club to making his mark in London’s music scene up until his Monterey Pop triumph. The film presents an intimate portrait of the sensitive young musician on the verge of becoming a rock legend.

Bad Hair (Pelo malo)

In PELO MALO, Junior is a nine-year-old boy who has stubbornly curly hair, or “bad hair.” He wants to have it straightened for his yearbook picture, like a fashionable pop singer with long, ironed hair. This puts him at odds with his mother Marta, a young, unemployed widow. Junior, Marta, and his baby brother live in a large multi-family building. Overwhelmed by what it takes to survive in the chaotic city of Caracas, Marta finds it increasingly difficult to tolerate Junior’s fixation with his looks. The more Junior tries to look sharp and make his mother love him, the more she rejects him. His paternal grandmother, a witness to this rejection, asks Marta to give her the boy so that he can look after her. Marta refuses and tries to correct her son’s obsession by “setting an example,” a cruel moment which was meant to be a lesson. Junior finds himself cornered, face to face with a painful decision.

Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 1

The worldwide phenomenon of The Hunger Games continues to set the world on fire with The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 1, which finds Katniss Everdeen (Jennifer Lawrence) in District 13 after she literally shatters the games forever. Under the leadership of President Coin and the advice of her trusted friends, Katniss spreads her wings as she fights to save Peeta and a nation moved by her courage. The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 1 is directed by Francis Lawrence from a screenplay by Danny Strong and Peter Craig and produced by Nina Jacobson’s Color Force in tandem with producer Jon Kilik. The novel on which the film is based is the third in a trilogy written by Suzanne Collins that has over 65 million copies in print in the U.S. alone.

Annie

A Broadway classic that has delighted audiences for generations comes to the big screen with a new, contemporary vision in Columbia Pictures’ comedy, Annie. Director/Producer/Screenwriter Will Gluck teams with producers James Lassiter, Will Smith & Jada Pinkett Smith, and Shawn “JAY Z” Carter, Laurence “Jay” Brown, and Tyran “Ty Ty” Smith with a modern telling that captures the magic of the classic characters and original show that won seven Tony Awards. Celia Costas serves as Executive Producer. Academy Award (R) nominee Quvenzhané Wallis (Beasts of the Southern Wild) stars as Annie, a young, happy foster kid who’s also tough enough to make her way on the streets of New York in 2014. Originally left by her parents as a baby with the promise that they’d be back for her someday, it’s been a hard knock life ever since with her mean foster mom Miss Hannigan (Cameron Diaz). But everything’s about to change when the hard-nosed tycoon and New York mayoral candidate Will Stacks (Jamie Foxx) – advised by his brilliant VP, Grace (Rose Byrne) and his shrewd and scheming campaign advisor, Guy (Bobby Cannavale) – makes a thinly-veiled campaign move and takes her in. Stacks believes he’s her guardian angel, but Annie’s self-assured nature and bright, sun-will-come-out-tomorrow outlook on life just might mean it’s the other way around.

Kaylyn Wadley

George Mason University

Deemed at birth as Kaylyn Wadley, that is the name identify myself by. I am currently a college student studying Global and Community Health and Nutrition on the path to medical school (and a long path it is, I will not complete my formal education until 2020). I have an uncanny interest in diseases, that sounds odd yes, but there’s something about the contraction of Tuberculosis and the removal of the Guinea Worm parasite from the human flesh that grabs my attention. When I am not consumed by my studies, which is majority of the time, I enjoy exercising and eating freakishly healthy (my friends say I eat salad out of a bag like potato chips). I have this goal to look 60 years old at age 100, we’ll see how that goes. I’m currently suffering from wanderlust and for those of you that do not know what that is, it is ” a strong desire or urge to travel and explore the world.” I am dying to get on the continent of Africa and have been since I discovered the history of Ancient Egypt when I was about 5 years old. Hopefully, I will be in Capetown, South Africa at the Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University by the completion of 2014. The motherland is calling! I have a feeling I will go and never want to return, LOL. Sooooo, attempting to talk about myself has always been an awkward thing for me, you don’t want to be vague and uninteresting, yet you don’t want to seem narcissistic and shallow. So, I think this should sum up my little bio. It is my hope you come to know me by the quality of my writing and appreciate it as my art.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com