This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

If you know about some of the debate surrounding feminine hygiene products and their ingredients, you’ve probably looked into some alternatives for your time of the month. Sometimes it can be hard to stray away from well-known brands, but considering the switch to organic brands could be beneficial to your health. Of course, the decision is entirely up to you and what you believe is best for your body.

Personally, I made the switch because I felt better about some of the missions behind these companies and the element of eco-friendliness supported by some of them.

Here are a few brands you can consider:

1. L.

Via Target

This brand has become my personal go-to. From overnight pads to regular tampons, their products are pretty dependable and have become a staple in my bag. What I appreciate most about this brand is their mission: “For every tampon purchased, one is donated to a female entrepreneur in a developing country in need”

In addition, they pride themselves in using all-natural, plant-based and organic ingredients. Their applicators are BPA-free and all packaging is recyclable. WIN!

They also make condoms for those who are concerned about some of the chemicals in conventional condoms with lubricants and spermicide.

2. Lola

Via MyLola.com

What is particularly great about this brand (besides the fact that their products are made from organic cotton) is that you can curate your own box with whichever products you want. You can browse through their site and see which products may be best for you, then have them delivered to you whenever you need!

3. DivaCup

Via DivaCup.com

The Diva Cup is probably one of the better known brands in the feminine hygiene product world. The concept is great, and a lot of users feel they get their needs met with this one single cup. While it may not be for everyone, one thing is for sure: Diva Cups, or any other menstrual cups, are great for your wallet and the environment as they are washable and reusable.

4. Natracare

Via NatraCare.com

Again, another organic cotton-using brand. However, Natracare is focused on material sustainability, minimizing their carbon footprint in the production of their products and ethical practices! Always worth a try.

5. Thinx

Via Slate.com

Thinx has been talked about a lot and has earned a reputation of (mostly) good reviews. What I like about this one is that there is no waste involved. All of their underwear is meant to be washed, and can hold a considerable amount of blood. They also come in all sorts of styles so you don’t have to feel like you’re wearing a diaper.

Which products you use and work best for your body is completely YOUR decision! It’s always good to consider the environment and sustainable alternatives to the popular brands that seem to dominate the feminine care aisles in supermarkets. Take care, collegiettes!

Nancy Nyamaa

George Mason University '19

Nancy is currently a senior at George Mason majoring in communication (concentration in journalism) and minoring in conflict analysis & resolution. She's passionate about true crime podcasts, baking, and editing. After she graduates she hopes to pursue a career in journalism and eventually go to grad school.