This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Geneseo chapter.

I’m sure we’ve all at one point or another kept a diary or journal. As a second grader it was the place where I would write my deepest, most troubling thoughts and observations like who had a crush on who in the class. Very serious stuff, you know?

Well I stopped journaling for quite some time until I started again last year and since then I’ve been journaling almost everyday. I’ve found that it has had a positive impact on my day and life. Here are 5 reasons why you should start journaling today.

It is a great stress reliever. 

Had a bad day, worried about something? Write about it in your journal! Your journal is your space. The pages will not be judgemental of you. Let everything go. Think of it as your own personal therapist that’s free and is open to you at all hours of the day.

It can help with organization/goal setting.

I find that while keeping a journal, I’m much more focused on what I have to do and when. By writing out all of the things I have to do, there is better clarity between my to do list and I. 

There is a more specific journaling style known as bullet journaling that is much more focused on this if you are interested.

It helps boost your creativity.

I LOVE buying stationery—from pretty journals, to pens, stickers and washi tape to decorate my journal with—I love it all. By no means is any of this necessary, but through this I’ve found my creativity has increased overall and is reflected in the actual writing portion of my journal, which therefore also impacts my academic writing as well.

It helps you grow as a person.

With journaling, you are able to have a better connection with yourself. What do you value? How are you feeling? What changes might you need to make in your life in order to be happier or productive? All of these things can be tracked overtime through your journal.

By having something to reflect on, you will be able to see the progress you’ve made over time as a person!

It is a great memory/history keeper.

This is my favorite reason as to why I keep a journal. I love the idea of having something tangible to look back on years from now to see what I was up to as a college student or how I saw the world at the time.

Overall, journaling has and continues to make a positive impact on my life and I encourage everyone to start journaling today.

Emily Tsoi

Geneseo '21

Emily Tsoi is a Senior English major with a minor in Art History. She is an avid journal writer who has one too many rolls of washi tape. When she isn’t studying or journaling, she enjoys reading, watching 80s movies and going to baseball games.
Rebecca was the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Geneseo. She graduated Summa Cum Laude with a Bachelor of Arts in English (Creative Writing) and Communication. Rebecca was also the Copy Editor for the student newspaper The Lamron, Co-Managing Editor of Gandy Dancer, a Career Peer Mentor in the Department of Career Development, a Reader for The Masters Review, and a member of OGX dance club on campus. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @Becca_Willie04!