This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Geneseo chapter.

Nina Fichera

There are so many musicals I love, as can be seen in my “My Favorite Musicals” YouTube playlist. It’s a wide range, from Heathers to Seussical to “The Ballad of Sara Berry” from 35mm. If I had to choose just one musical, though, I think it’d have to be Next to Normal. It’s heartbreaking with an amazing kind-of rock soundtrack. I love every single song and have to sing along when I hear them! It’s also one of the first musicals I’ve ever seen onstage, which of course is a milestone.

Dara Scolnick

I’ve seen a lot of musicals in my life and my favorite one I’ve seen everywhere but Broadway! Legally Blonde the Musical premiered on Broadway when I was very young so I was unfortunately unable to see it. However, I’ve seen it performed at multiple semi-professional and professional theaters as well as a high school. It’s an amazing show that thankfully MTV did a pro-shot of which means they filmed the Broadway version with legal permission! This show is so inspiring to me and has the best songs! “Chip on My Shoulder” is my favorite! I love it so much I got a Spotify sticker code of it for my laptop! Laura Bell Bundy and Christian Borle were amazing in this show as well as the rest of the amazing cast. I will never not think of the song “Omigod you guys” when someone says “Oh my God.” Also, similarly for when someone says “so much better”, I immediately think “Yes, that’s my name in black and white

Maybe I’m doing something right

Wow! I feel so much better than before” and the rest of the song is also a bop. It’s so creative and funny and simply well written. This show means so much to me and I would really love if one day it was revived on Broadway as this article states five reasons why: https://www.hercampus.com/school/geneseo/5-reasons-why-legally-blonde-the-musical-should-be-reprised-on-broadway/ (a little Her Campus-self promotion!) 

Madison Centeno

As a certified theatre kid, it is almost impossible to choose a favorite musical. If I am being honest, my favorites are a mix of musicals that I truly think are fantastic and some that just hold a very sentimental place in my heart. Since I can’t choose one, I present to you the top five. The first on my list is West Side Story. This is one of the ones that definitely holds a special place in my heart. It was one of the first musicals that I have ever seen and my family thought it was important for me to see Puerto Rican representation as a Puerto Rican woman. Although the film is definitely not the best at this representation, it still meant a lot to me as a kid. The next is Hadestown. The writing is absolutely amazing and the music is so captivating that I fell in love with it from the first song I heard. I was going to go see it this Christmas but it was canceled due to COVID. I really hope I get the chance to. The third is Mamma Mia. All I have to say is ABBA. The fourth is Heathers, it is absolutely iconic. 80s teen angst tied in with a little true crime aspect is like the perfect mix. Last but not least, Waitress. I loved the movie so when the musical came out I was beyond excited. It always gives me a good cry when I need it. 

Lauren Davies

As a retired theatre kid, asking me to choose a favorite musical is literally like asking me to choose a favorite child. But I would say my top three are Waitress, Mamma Mia and Newsies. Waitress is probably my all time favorite, but I could never give up the other two. I did two NYSSMA solos to Waitress songs in high school (“What Baking Can Do” and “She Used to be Mine”) and they were so fun to sing! Also, the story makes me cry every single time. That being said, Mamma Mia and Newsies are just so fun, and Mamma Mia was the first professional show I ever saw live. Also, I have to give a shoutout to Anything Goes and Seussical for being the most fun to perform. So, basically, I love every musical and will likely become obsessed with all of these again for the next few weeks.

Nina Fichera is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Geneseo. She oversees meetings and writes about a variety of topics, such as music (especially K-Pop and Taylor Swift), her experiences as a hopeless romantic, what it's like for her as a writer, and other entertainment-based articles. Outside of Her Campus, Nina is currently a senior with a double major in English (with a Creative Writing concentration) and Adolescent Education (with an English concentration) as well as a minor in Human Development. She was the head fiction editor for the SUNY magazine Gandy Dancer in Spring 2023. In her free time, Nina adores writing to her heart's content, usually in the realm of fiction and fanfiction. She also loves cross-stitch, spending time with her friends, learning K-Pop dances, and reading.
Dara Scolnick

Geneseo '22

Dara is a senior who has an individualized studies major titled, "Child & Youth Studies." She is a member of Alpha Phi Omega, where she follows a passion of hers, which is volunteering. She also enjoys writing and sharing her thoughts with other students which is why she joined Her Campus! She is the Co-Events Coordinator for Geneseo's HC as well!
Madison Centeno is a junior sociology and women's and gender studies major. When she isn't at protests or actively fighting for human rights, she is in her room studying or reading! She loves to write and share information about social injustices occurring worldwide. Follow her on Instagram @madisonrue190 to get to know her more!
Lauren Davies

Geneseo '24

Lauren is the social media director and event coordinater for HerCampus at Geneseo. She keeps all the HerCampus at Geneseo socials up to date, and plans fun events on the Geneseo campus! Outside of HerCampus, Lauren is an English Adolescent Education major at Geneseo! In Lauren's free time she loves to walk her dog, Stewart, podcasting, drinking coffee, and hanging out with her friends!