5 Reasons Why Legally Blonde The Musical Should be Revived on Broadway

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Geneseo chapter.

Legally Blonde the Musical is an iconic musical based on an iconic movie and it deserves so much more recognition and love than it receives. It’s making a comeback in videos on social media, but it’s still not as well known among all theater lovers. 

Legally Blonde Mic GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

via GIPHY

1. All the songs are BOPS!

Every song is this musical aids in telling the story and they are all so catchy. You will have songs stuck in your head immediately after watching the show or listening to the soundtrack! There are songs about some crazy things, but they all are so important and well-written. “Chip on My Shoulder” is inspiring, fun and super memorable. The original cast in the show also had amazing voices!

1. An entirely new generation can appreciate it live!

Although there is a pro-shot from MTV (Thank you MTV!) on YouTube, the show is rarely performed live anymore. Some high schools perform it and some regional theaters have done it, but it’s not in a semi-permanent location like Broadway. People who were too young to watch the show live in 2007, like me, would love to be able to see it on Broadway. 

1. A new cast will be hard to find, but once they find it, the show will thrive!

The original Broadway cast leads, Laura Bell Bundy (Elle Woods) and Christian Borle (Emmet) are AMAZING performers and actors of various television, movies and, of course, Broadway. There are amazing new up-and-coming theater performers whether they be found on TikTok or in live productions across the country. Personally, I think Disney alum Dove Cameron or a recent Broadway Wicked Glinda, Ginna Claire Mason, could be amazing Elle Woods! 

1. Movies turned musicals are making a comeback!

Beetlejuice the Musical and Mean Girls are just some of the modern musicals that are beloved by many. Legally Blonde the Musical was an early movie turned musical that was more current in the 2000s, but it deserves its own comeback! Legally Blonde is one of the most popular films that inspires many, but especially young women like myself, and the musical can reach so many and also bring new musical lovers into the world. If a non-theater lover’s favorite movie is turned into a musical, more people might become interested in theater!

1. The show can and will inspire ALL people.

From blonde women to gay and European men (song reference!), this show can inspire really any person who just feels underestimated in life. The whole point of this show just like the movie is that a girl who studies fashion merchandising can prove she can get into Harvard Law School. Her reasons for getting there are not something everyone can relate to, but she realizes she wants to prove to herself what she can do. She’s a brilliant person and (spoiler alert) becomes an amazing lawyer by the end of the show. But really, this musical can show anyone and everyone that you don’t need to fall into stereotypes or boxes and you can be and do anything you want to!

Clearly, Legally Blonde the Musical would be an amazing comeback musical and it could inspire thousands while also being simply entertaining!

Dara Scolnick

Geneseo '22

Dara is a senior who has an individualized studies major titled, "Child & Youth Studies." She is a member of Alpha Phi Omega, where she follows a passion of hers, which is volunteering. She also enjoys writing and sharing her thoughts with other students which is why she joined Her Campus! She is the Co-Events Coordinator for Geneseo's HC as well!