This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Geneseo chapter.

Disclaimer: These may not necessarily be healthy. Please search out actual healthy ways to deal with burnout.

Nina Fichera

Does it count as a coping mechanism to try to work through the burnout? I do that writer thing where if I hit burnout with one WIP I move to the next, and then if I get burned out with that one, I move on to the next, etc. It’s a never-ending cycle and I’m always tired. I also will rewatch shows I loved as a kid, like Ever After High and Strawberry Shortcake.

Madison Centeno

My favorite coping mechanism is taking extremely long showers. Self-care in the most basic way really helps. I make sure to make my shower time the most extravagant as it can be. For example, I will get matching scrubs, body wash, body spray, everything! Then take my time to shave, do my hair and take care of my skin and just make sure that I physically feel great so my mind can too. I also watch an unhealthy amount of shows to keep busy and my mind off everything. 

Lauren Davies

Is it wrong to say my favorite coping mechanism is crying? I find it to calm me down a lot when I am really overwhelmed and it is just helpful to let all the emotions out at once then get back to work. I also like going for “hot girl walks” while listening to girlboss music (mainly Taylor Swift). The walks are probably a slightly better option, but whatever gets me through the day, right? Also, 10/10 completely recommend bringing a fidget spinner on your hot girl walk. It is so calming. 

Nina Fichera is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Geneseo. She oversees meetings and writes about a variety of topics, such as music (especially K-Pop and Taylor Swift), her experiences as a hopeless romantic, what it's like for her as a writer, and other entertainment-based articles. Outside of Her Campus, Nina is currently a senior with a double major in English (with a Creative Writing concentration) and Adolescent Education (with an English concentration) as well as a minor in Human Development. She was the head fiction editor for the SUNY magazine Gandy Dancer in Spring 2023. In her free time, Nina adores writing to her heart's content, usually in the realm of fiction and fanfiction. She also loves cross-stitch, spending time with her friends, learning K-Pop dances, and reading.
Madison Centeno is a junior sociology and women's and gender studies major. When she isn't at protests or actively fighting for human rights, she is in her room studying or reading! She loves to write and share information about social injustices occurring worldwide. Follow her on Instagram @madisonrue190 to get to know her more!
Lauren Davies

Geneseo '24

Lauren is the social media director and event coordinater for HerCampus at Geneseo. She keeps all the HerCampus at Geneseo socials up to date, and plans fun events on the Geneseo campus! Outside of HerCampus, Lauren is an English Adolescent Education major at Geneseo! In Lauren's free time she loves to walk her dog, Stewart, podcasting, drinking coffee, and hanging out with her friends!