This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Geneseo chapter.

Anyone who meets me learns within the first hour that I am a hopeless romantic. My first article for Her Campus was even about having a crush on another of my best friends! Quick update to that: the feelings have slightly faded, I haven’t told her, and that’s all there is to report.

It’s been a year and a half since my first date, nearly two years since my first kiss. Both because of the pandemic and the transition to college, I haven’t been on any more dates since then. For the longest time, even sometimes now, I feel like I need to put myself out there, find the right person for me. I’ve wanted to be in a relationship since before I was allowed to date, but nothing ever worked in my favor.

I’m beginning to see now that that’s perfectly okay. While I do still crave a hand to hold, someone to hug and cuddle with and go on cute dates with, that can wait. I’ve been single my whole life, so what’s a little more time?

This is me saying to all the single people out there to live your best life! This is when you get to know yourself better. Take yourself out on coffee dates, go to that book store, go to the hay ride or pumpkin patch or any of those date ideas you’ve had for a long time. Even if it’s just you, or if it’s with a friend, it’s just as fun as being with a partner! And once you know what you like, that makes it easier for you to suggest date ideas and define your own boundaries in a relationship.

Sometimes I need to remind myself of this, especially when the #yearning hits and I scroll through the depths of the “can you tell im a hopeless romantic” tag on my own tumblr. Single life is good life! Especially with the pandemic still lurking, I find it good to take some time to really learn about myself and take care of myself first and foremost. I hope you all can remember to do the same.

Nina Fichera is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Geneseo. She oversees meetings and writes about a variety of topics, such as music (especially K-Pop and Taylor Swift), her experiences as a hopeless romantic, what it's like for her as a writer, and other entertainment-based articles. Outside of Her Campus, Nina is currently a senior with a double major in English (with a Creative Writing concentration) and Adolescent Education (with an English concentration) as well as a minor in Human Development. She was the head fiction editor for the SUNY magazine Gandy Dancer in Spring 2023. In her free time, Nina adores writing to her heart's content, usually in the realm of fiction and fanfiction. She also loves cross-stitch, spending time with her friends, learning K-Pop dances, and reading.