nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

D.I.Y. or Die

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Geneseo chapter.

For some of us, it’s literally do or die.

I love art — I grew up covered in finger paint. Later, as I entered one of the most difficult periods of my life, the act of creation became one of the few things that could offer me solace. What I’ve learned is this: Even in its most rudimentary form, creating art is a revolutionary act of self-love. I’m no Van Gogh, but crafting and D.I.Y projects are integral to both my happiness and well-being. Sure, some look down on crafting as being a juvenile art form; however, for those like me, it can be the only thing which keeps us steady.

They say crafting can save you. No seriously. People joke about art therapy, but the benefits are real. Busy hands don’t tremble. A turbulent mind can be calmed with new crafts — it’s scientifically proven.

To quote Kurt Vonnegut, “Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven’s sake.” Creating art, crafting, may seem insignificant, but it is an act of self-love — a small mercy.  Taking the time out of a stressful day to create anything is to take care of yourself.  

Research shows that we value the things we make more than most of our other possessions.  The euphoria of finishing a project and the feeling of accomplishment from actually creating something new can make everything seem worth it.

We’re living in a world where millennials spend millions of dollars annually on the self-care industry. Despite this, D.I.Y and crafting are self-care techniques that are constantly overlooked and undermined in our society.  The healing powers of art are truly extraordinary but rarely utilized.

Often, D.I.Y. means more than glue and glitter. It means taking your pain and transforming it into something else. This act of creating something out of nothing is one the most beautiful uses of your energy. For those like me, D.I.Y is an outlet for emotion, it’s not just some quirky hobby. So knit your misery into a sweater, bedazzle your pain, and glue googly-eyes over your grief.

Follow Tori on Twitter and Instagram. 

Follow Her Campus @ Geneseo on FacebookTwitterInstagram, and Pinterest

Victoria Cooke is a Senior History and Adolescence Education major with a Women's and Gender Studies minor at SUNY Geneseo. Apart from being an editor and the founder of Her Campus at Geneseo, she is also the co-president of Voices for Planned Parenthood and a Curator for TEDxSUNYGeneseo. Her passions include feminism, reading, advocating for social justice, and crafting. In the future, she hopes to inspire the next generation of history nerds and activists.