This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Geneseo chapter.

We all know what it feels like to be mentally exhausted—the fatigue, the frustration. For myself, I find that when I’m really hanging by my last thread I tend to get irritated by little things I wouldn’t normally care about. I also often become overwhelmed very easily. But what actually is burnout? 

Burnout is difficult to describe, as many experts disagree about what it really means. In most cases, burnout is defined by three main factors: mental exhaustion, depersonalization and declination in performance. In regards to school, this might mean being unable to focus in class, feeling detached from coursework and a drastic drop in grades. It’s normal to experience a minor level of fatigue regarding school, but when fatigue turns into exhaustion a problem arises. Now that we’ve defined burnout, how can we take care of burnout without falling too far behind?

This is an extremely difficult question, and I don’t have a perfect answer. From my personal experience, the most important thing that helps me get through periods of severe burnout is mental rest. When we are constantly on the move, our minds can get overworked as a result of the chaos. Yoga, meditation or simply taking a walk are really great ways that I allow my brain to take a break. I tend to like things that quiet my overactive mind. Other activities that might work could be any type of physical exercise, dance, naps, coloring, talking with friends or reading a book that does not have to do with your classes. Essentially taking part in any low-stress activity you enjoy can be helpful, as long as it does not involve schoolwork. Taking time out of your day to do something like this is productive because it allows your brain to focus on something light, which can seriously improve your mental health.

Another thing that can be really beneficial during times of major stress is prioritizing sleep. I am definitely guilty of having a bad sleep schedule and I also usually do homework at night, so I completely understand the struggle. Although it can be difficult, exercising some discipline with yourself is necessary for this. Decide what time you need to be in bed; say by midnight. Do whatever homework or studying you need to, but once midnight hits you need to set it aside. Making your physical health a priority can sometimes be looked down upon in our capitalist culture, but it is so, so, so important. You will feel much better and recover from burnout much quicker if you get some well deserved rest. 

Finally, communicating with professors is crucial. Most professors, especially in my experience at Geneseo, are very understanding when it comes to things like burnout. E-mailing or setting up a meeting to talk with a professor about what you are going through can take a lot of the guilt off of your shoulders. I know that for me missing class causes a lot of unease, even if it might be necessary. Communicating with professors about needing extra time or missing class is one of the best things you can do for yourself and most of them will do everything they can to make accommodations for you. 

Academic burnout is a real problem for college students. Lately, I’ve been feeling extremely burnout–and having back-to-back midterms is certainly not helping. However, it is not the end. When we treat ourselves with patience and gentility we can recover quickly and come back ready to attack the workload stronger than ever.

Jess Marinaro

Geneseo '24

Jess Marinaro is the senior editor and secretary at the Her Campus at SUNY Geneseo. They edit articles and correspond with general members of the club. Outside of Her Campus, Jess is studying English Creative Writing and Sustainability Studies. They have had creative writing published in literary magazines such as Gandy Dancer and Iris Magazine. They are a member of Sigma Tau Delta. She is also an RA at Geneseo’s campus and loves helping her residents. When not hunched over her computer, Jess can often be found hiking, running, or frolicking around the nearest New York State Park with Geneseo’s Outdoor’s Club. They love to write about queer topics, taylor swift, and movies–especially horror.