Billie Elish’s New Album Is Out, So Cancel Your Plans and Listen To It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Geneseo chapter.

(Source)

If you haven’t been keeping an eye on the rising alternative queen, Billie Eilish, then you better start now! She is taking over the world of alternative music with her spine-chilling sound that will make you both jam out and look over your shoulder. She has been bringing a different sound to the music scene for a while now, but her debut album just dropped!

WHEN WE ALL FALL ASLEEP, WHERE DO WE GO? is the title of the album which features songs such as “you should see me in a crown” and “bury a friend” which are already hits along-side other brand new bops! There are 14 total songs on the album, and it’s 42 minutes long all-together. I listened to the album three times through before I even went to class on March 29, the morning it was released. As if her music isn’t impressive enough, she’s only 17 years old and already ruling the charts! I predict that she is only going up from here!

Not only is her music fresh and different, her personality is also refreshing. The first song on her new album, “!!!!!!!” is 13 seconds of her taking out her invisalign so that she can start recording her album. She’s quirky, creepy, fun and relatable. If I haven’t convinced you to listen to the album yet, you are too hard to please. However, for those few stragglers who haven’t already clicked off of this article to blast WHEN WE ALL FALL ASLEEP, WHERE DO WE GO? I will review some of my personal favorites off of the album.

“xanny” is the third song off the album, and is actually anti-abusing Xanax which is a rare topic amoung young artists. Aside from its proclamation against self-medication, it’s also just relaxing. Billie Eilish’s voice is soft and melodic over a mellow background. This song could almost be a lullaby, and if you listen to music to sleep, I recommend adding it to your playlist!

“all the good girls go to hell” is the fifth song off of WHEN WE ALL FALL ASLEEP, WHERE DO WE GO? and it’s just fun! It has a jazzy background that will make you tap your feet along! Plus the line “Man is such a fool, why are we saving him?” is just iconic.

Lastly, “my strange addiction” is probably my favorite off of the album right now. I have no idea why, it’s just what I’ve been playing on repeat! I love the line “You are my strange addiction” because it sounds romantic out of context, but chilling in the song. It’s a good example of all of Billie Eilish’s music. She adds something completely new to a genre that is always searching for the next big thing. Whether or not you’re a fan of alt music, watch out for Billie Eilish because she is only gaining momentum! Hop on the bandwagon now by listening to WHEN WE ALL FALL ASLEEP, WHERE DO WE GO?

Happy listening!

Follow Her Campus @ Geneseo on FacebookTwitterInstagram, and Pinterest

Hannah Fahy

Geneseo '20

Hannah Fahy is a junior English secondary education major at SUNY Geneseo. She is very involved on campus as the secretary of Circus Club and a general member of Musical Theater Club. She is also the social media coordinator of the Geneseo Her Campus chapter! She is an aspiring unicyclist who enjoys reading, donating blood, and knitting. She is always learning a new skill because she believes that you should never stop learning.
Jessica Bansbach is a junior psychology major who has more campus club memberships than fingers and toes. In her spare time, if she's forgotten that she's a college student that has more pressing matters to attend to (like, say, studying), she enjoys video games, thrift shopping, and ruminating. She was elected "funniest in group" by her summer camp counselor when she was nine and has since spent the next eleven years trying to live up to the impossible weight of that title.