This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Geneseo chapter.

Growing up, I had anxiety before I even knew what anxiety was. As I got older, it most certainly got worse, but I never spoke up about it until my junior year of high school. Being a Virgo sun and Pisces rising, I’ve gotten used to having racing thoughts 24/7, that is until I learned how to cope with and prevent my anxiety. 

1. Breathing methods

I know most people don’t really think of changing up your breathing will help with anxiety, but it most certainly does. Even at the most stressful kind of events such as concerts, musicals, public speaking, etc. I find that if I breathe in for five seconds, hold it for five seconds, and then breathe out for five seconds I feel a sort of calm wave wash over me, which then translates to the rest of my body and ultimately puts me in a calmer headspace! 

1. Utilizing your senses

If you’ve ever been to therapy you’ve probably heard this trick, and it really does help. Start by naming five things you can see, four things you can hear, three things you can feel, two things you can smell and one thing you can taste. Referred to as “5-4-3-2-1,” this tool is a simple yet effective method for regaining control of your mind when anxiety threatens to take over. 

1. Limiting substances

I know it’s hard, seeing that we’re in college and are eager to explore new things and love going out on the weekend, but sometimes substances like alcohol, nicotine, caffeine and weed can have a not-so-great effect on those who suffer from anxiety. All of these substances (especially when combined) can aggravate anxiety and trigger panic attacks, which is something we should actively be avoiding. 

1. Accepting that you can’t control everything 

I think this was the hardest thing for me to overcome as I’ve tried to minimalize my anxiety. As a Virgo and a control freak, I always want to be the one calling the shots, but that just isn’t realistic in life. I’ve learned that it’s okay to take the back seat sometimes, and nothing bad is going to happen just because you’re not in charge. Honestly, it can be quite freeing once you realize you can’t control everything. I know I personally have gotten really good at not stressing about the little things, and it has definitely made my life much easier and more manageable. 

1. Seeking medical help

Tips and tricks for anxiety are great, don’t get me wrong, but some of us need medication to help with our anxious behaviors, and that is 100 percent okay. I’ve tried quite a few anxiety medications, and it really is all about finding the right balance. For those genetically disposed to anxiety, medicating is a great option, as sometimes anxiety can be quite debilitating, so having a second line of defense when breathing and counting doesn’t work can be extremely helpful. This also applies to therapy. Starting therapy is one of the best things I’ve ever done for myself, and I wish that I would have done it sooner. For me, I love having someone to talk to who is a professional, that way I don’t feel like I’m burdening my friends and family with my problems.  

Anxiety manifests itself differently in everyone, so some tips that may be extremely helpful for you may not work at all for someone else. It’s all about trying new things, learning how to live with your anxiety, and managing it.

Julia is a senior Communication Major at Geneseo! She loves to write and is so elated that Her Campus lets her do just that. Julia will forever mourn the loss of her favorite band, One Direction.