Life > Academics

Why You Should Look into Graduate School Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

As the last first semester of your senior year at undergrad comes to a close, the impending doom of “what’s next?” is likely lurking in the back of your mind. Is it a move back to your hometown to decompress from the last few years of school? Maybe moving somewhere new? That 9 to 5 sounding reliable? Or are you ready to start a new journey in the world of grad school? If you answered yes to that last question, allow me to propose an idea; study abroad for grad school.

I myself am going to be graduating this coming spring. It is terrifying finally joining the real adult world, but it’s also really exciting! You have so many options, roads to take, and adventures to go on! The route I’m deciding to venture down is furthering my education, and if you’re thinking of doing the same thing, I’d highly recommend looking into programs abroad, and there are loads of reasons why this search is worth your time.

For starters, taking the next step in another country will be a priceless experience. As an undergraduate student who may have never gotten the chance to spend a semester abroad, continuing your education in another country would give you an opportunity to immerse yourself in an entirely different culture. You could learn more languages, eat diverse foods, and get out of your comfort zone, all while engaging with other scholars at global institutions where your network and global understanding can expand.

Additionally, the individual growth you can experience in a new country is unlike anything you could experience at home. All those new experiences mentioned above will shape you into a global citizen who considers the needs of people from all over the world when engaging in your academic and professional field, which is an extremely valuable skill. As you apply to jobs, other degree programs, or any other experience, your time abroad will stand out and excite those interviewing you. You will have likely experienced trials and errors while navigating language barriers, different traditions, and practices uncommon to you. Your ability to overcome will benefit you in more ways than you may know.

While the newness of international living will be exciting, it is also important to consider the nitty gritty finances of grad school. It’s incredibly expensive to attend graduate school, especially in the United States. But it is more than likely that as you broaden your horizons to other schools in other countries, you will find that tuition is substantially cheaper abroad. For example, I am going to be pursuing a Master of Arts in History or a related subject, and in the United States the average cost of a Master of Arts is $65,880 per year. I am applying to multiple universities in the United Kingdom, where the tuition for these programs range from $20,000 to $30,000 per year. Quite a big difference there! Other countries, such as Norway or Germany, may even offer grad school programs completely free of charge as they are publicly funded.

You have a lot to consider after graduation, and a master’s program is a huge step to take after undergrad. But as you navigate the ins and outs of applying to grad school, do consider programs abroad. You won’t regret taking a leap of faith by living in an unknown place, making friends from other parts of the world, and pursuing your passion across waters. Put yourself out there, for all the world to see!

Hi! I am Savannah Miles! I am from Seattle, Washington, and I am a senior history major at Grand Canyon University. You can often find me reading a book from my extensive Goodreads list, going on walks across campus, rock climbing and hiking, or hanging out outside while writing and drawing.