This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

Self-love, defined as “love of self” or “regard for one’s own happiness or advantage”, has been conceptualized both as a basic human necessity and as a moral flaw. Learning to love yourself is very important, as it will play a factor in the future relationships you will create, not only romantically but also platonically. There are many healthy habits to practice ti show yourself that you are just important as anyone else and that you need to put yourself first. Self-love is a state of appreciation for oneself that grows from actions that support your physical, psychological and spiritual growth.

For many people, self-love is another form of self care. To practice self care, we often need to go back to the basics and listen to our bodies,

Take breaks from work and move/stretch. Put the phone down and connect to yourself or others, or do something creative. Eat healthily, but occasionally indulge in your favorite foods, as that can be a positive step towards appreciating yourself and taking care of yourself. Just do what you love that makes you happy. Self-love means accepting yourself as you are in this very moment for everything that you are. It means accepting your emotions for what they are and putting your physical, emotional and mental well-being first. Acknowledging that will definitely help you understand why self care and self-love is important. Finally, to practice self-love, start by being kind, patient, gentle and compassionate to yourself.

Some forms of self-love can include starting each day by telling yourself something really positive: how well you handled a situation, how lovely you look today, etc… Anything that will make you smile.

Give your body what it needs. Fill it with water and food for nourishment. Learn to love the skin you are in and show your appreciation by continually fueling it rather than punishing it. 

Stop the comparisons. There is no one on this planet like you, so you cannot fairly compare yourself to someone else. The only person you should compare yourself to is you. You are unique, and comparisons are useless. You are the only one that can be like you. Love the things that make you different; that’s what makes you unique. Beauty cannot be defined.

Another act of self love is to celebrate all your accomplishments, no matter how big or how small. You worked hard and you should acknowledge that. Pat yourself on the back; be proud of what you achieved.

Be patient but persistent. Self-love is ever evolving. It’s something that needs to be practiced daily but can take a lifetime to master. So be kind and support yourself through the hard times. Learning self-love can open many other doors, especially when it comes to connecting to others. 

Lopes Up! Spread kindness wherever you go Instagram: bihsierraaa