This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

Let’s face it, being stuck at home makes it even harder to get your daily movement in. Gyms are closed, the homework load is never-ending, and netflix is calling your name. It is okay to use this time to relax, but after a while it can become tiring. Getting active is a nice way to get outside, see something new and boost your endorphins. Here are a few ideas of what you can do to stay active! 

Ride Your Bike

I swear I am discovering new parts of my city that I would have never seen if it was not for social distancing. Cycling along the canals has been my favorite pastime lately. Whether it is a bike around the neighborhood or in the mountains, it is the perfect activity to do. Research trails that you can take. If you are in Arizona, the canal system is the perfect place to start. Have a family member join you for a sunset ride, you will not regret it! 

Hawaii Girl Happy Biking Fun Peace
Tessa Pesicka / Her Campus

Walk or Run

The cool part about this time is it gives us the opportunity to do things we would not do otherwise. Even thinking about running used to stress me out, but now it is the perfect way to get out of the house. Don’t worry about how fast you are going or how long it takes you, just enjoy the scenery. There is no need to rush! Take it slow and enjoy it. 

Play Just Dance 

This one sounds a little silly but there is nothing quite like a fierce just dance battle. Even if you don’t have the game, youtube has a lot of the dances that you can follow for free. You may not get a final score but the dance party is just as intense. 

Do YouTube Workouts 

YouTube is a mecca of free knowledge. Use YouTube University to your advantage and find some of your favorite workouts. Many fitness influencers are offering free workouts on instagram and YouTube right now. Some of my favorite people to follow for workouts are Emi Wong, MariFitness, and Whitney Simmons. Whether you are looking for yoga, HITT, or some killer core workouts, YouTube has it all! 

Make TikToks

With all this free time, creating TikToks has become a full time job. It is incredible the dancing talent a 13 year old possesses. As a college student, it is quite a workout to try to keep up. Learn the dances and share with friends. This is a fun way to move your body in a different way that does not feel like working out. Even if you are not the best at it, it is still fun! Also the 13 year olds cannot rock the choreography to High School Musical quite like you can. 

These are just a few ideas of how to get moving while socially distancing. Life looks different right now and it is okay if your workout schedule is not like it used to be. Get moving in ways that are fun and exciting. There is no need for added negativity, so only do what makes you feel good. Enjoy moving, six feet apart.

Tatum is currently a Sophomore at GCU studying Graphic Design and Advertising. As a native to Arizona she loves being a part of the Phoenix community. She is passionate about writing, design, friendship, and a really good cup of coffee.