This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

“I’m Dodie! I have emotions! I write songs about those emotions!” – Dodie Clark 

Dodie is a 22-year-old singer-song writer that is taking over YouTube. Her outstanding talent draws in an audience of 1,450,000 subscribers (find her on YouTube at doddleoddle). With songs that are sure to leave you with goosebumps (and sometimes tears) and she takes the time to analyze her emotions and expel them in her songs. She is also known for elegantly covering songs with her ukulele and piano, including Panic at The Disco’s “Death of A Bachelor”. 

Her quirkiness allows millions of young adults engage to relate to her content on a personal level. Like a lot of teens today, she suffered with facing her sexuality and overcoming mental disorders. Feeling like a 6/10, she still chooses to express her honesty behind her emotions. 

Each one of her music videos are artsy and show different sides of Dodie. Whether she is sporadic with her whimsical songs or focusing on more serious content, your attention will not wander while watching her videos. Art, music, and writing have always been an outlet for her, even when it felt as she is “going mad”, she still finds joy in painting with color. Needless to say, she is not afraid to color outside of the lines. 

She also collaborates with her friends to create mashups and covers. One of her most recent collaborations is the swing cover of Camila Cabello’s Havana featuring Acapella group FLASHBACK. With over a million views in less than a week, the cover hit the YouTube charts. She has also collaborated with other YouTubers such as Savannah Brown and Tessa Violet. 

Her book, Secrets for the Mad: Obsessions, Confessions and Life Lessons, is packed with a series of original breath-taking poems, artwork, photos and song lyrics. Dodie states that her book, “is for the people with minds that just don’t stop; for those who feel everything seemingly a thousand times more than the people around them.” She makes it evident throughout the book that it is not easy to have such a powerful mind. Being a deep thinker has caused her much pain, but she chooses to channel it into her artwork, making her an icon. The book is broken down in sections titled: “My Bad Brain, Obsessions, Confessions, Life Lessons, and Encore”, making it a wonderful advice book for those who are just being introduced to the adult lifestyle. 

Dodie is an inspiration to those who consider themselves misfits. By creating songs about bedrooms, eyebrows and birthdays, and faces, she realistically explains the importance of overcoming insecurities and loving yourself for who you are. Embracing flaws is an important part of growing up and she definitely expresses that to her audience. Her video, “My Securities”, explains what it means to be you. She challenges her viewers to comment three things that they do not like about themselves, and then write why they like them all at the same time. 

Dodie is an easy to love person who has quite the creative brain. She loves to dive deep into her emotions. In a society that is staged and fake, she shows the world that she is not afraid to be herself, and that by being herself, she is beautiful.  

Abbie Carnes is a Junior at Grand Canyon University. She is an elementary education major and believes that learning is the key to success. She has a strong passion for writing, drawing, reading, and music. Even with her strong tendency to wander, God always directs her paths towards his goodness.