New Year New You? How To Keep Up on Your New Year’s Resolutions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

The New Year is my favorite time of year. Everyone is figuring out who they want to be THIS time around and making routines that will *most likely* stick only for a few weeks. Want to be different? Me too. This is what I do to ensure that when I say, “new year, new me”, I actually mean it.

Don’t Set Your Goals Too High

Setting goals for the new year does not have to be complicated – it actually can be lots of fun! Reflecting on your life in the past year is a wonderful way to figure out what type of goal you want to set for yourself during this new year! Whether it is a health goal, relationship goal, or one related to self-care, if you can set your goals realistically, you can achieve them successfully. Here are some examples of these goals!

• Working out 2-3 times a week
  • Setting a new skin care routine
  • Working on communicating with your partner

Keep Track of Your Progress

One main reason people do not follow through with their New Year’s resolutions is because they can’t keep track of them all. Having a journal to write them all down and to log your data in can be beneficial on many levels. Not only is journaling great for your mental health, but it is also a wonderful way to feel proud of yourself for how far you have come with your resolutions. Don’t have a journal? Don’t worry. Here are some more examples of what you can use to keep track of your progress.

• A daily note to yourself
  • Sticker progress sheet
  • Tracking app

Tell Others to Hold You Accountable

One of the best ways I have found to keep your New Year’s resolutions is to tell the people closest to you to keep you accountable. Whether these are your teachers, classmates, roommates, parents, friends, or your coworkers – having people in your corner while you enter the new year with your new habits is going to be more beneficial than most people realize. You can always set alarms on your phone and reminders for yourself for extra help!

Keeping up with your New Year’s resolutions can be challenging, but the most important thing to remember is that with the right support system and the right tools – you don’t have to quit on your resolutions like you have in the past. This is YOUR year, and it’s time you took control and made sure that you are not only keeping promises to others, but you’re keeping them to yourself too.

Hi! My name is Megan Stobie and I am a junior in the BA Professional Writing program at GCU. I am from the small town of Orting, Washington and I love to write!