Career

The Journey of a Pre-Dental Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

As I reflect on my time here at GCU, I look back at the several hardships I had to encounter while being a pre-med student. Being a senior and only months away from graduation, I can wholeheartedly say that it’s been both a blessing and a curse being part of such a rigorous program. Coming from a family where no one went to college, let alone medical school, it has been difficult to stay in a program where there is endless school work. I remember the late night phone calls I would send to my brother because I questioned whether or not this was the right career path for me. However, I came to realize that pre-med is not for everyone. It takes great strength and dedication to continue a path where there is no constant free time; only study time. I have managed to come this far and still haven’t lost the motivation as to why I started in the first place. 

Ever since I was in preschool I have dreamt of becoming a dentist. It has been my only career choice for as long as I could recall and everyone in my entire family knows the passion I have for teeth. I grew up having an imperfect smile and when times were rough, my parents did not have enough money to pay for my braces. I promised myself that if I had the opportunity, I would want to help those who aren’t able to pay for braces and can’t afford basic dental care. Till this day I strive to stick to that promise. Moreover, the way I have been able to continue my passion for dental has been volunteering through different places throughout my years in college such as; Editha’s house, Brighter Dental way, and St.Vincent De Paul. All of these places have shaped me for who I am today and I can proudly say that I currently work at a dental office as an ortho assistant. With little to no experience I’ve managed to move up the ladder and make my mark in the dental world. 

I would be lying to you if I didn’t say I felt stressed all the time. Trying to manage a full time job that requires 36-40 hrs a week and still be a full time student has changed my perception on my career path. If you’re willing to put in the time and effort, pre-med is definitely the major for you. There are countless days where I don’t get enough sleep or I slack on assignments but I reflect back on my goals and purpose in life that it only pushes me to strive harder. Nothing in this world is easy, but I can say that choosing to be a pre-med student was the easiest choice I’ve made so far in college!

Hi, my name is Daisy and I am a senior at GCU. You can always find me drinking coffee and enjoying hanging out with friends! In the midst of all this, I also dedicate my time doing school work and working at a dental office.