jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Live a Purposeful Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

Living a purposeful life has such a greater meaning than people think it does. Whether it be going into a specific career field, going outside of their comfort zone, or simply changing something up in their day to day routine, there is purpose behind it. It might be because people are experiencing life changes and simply want a new routine or they are truly trying to add more purpose of doing things within their life. Here are 5 simple methods to help you live a more purposeful life.

1. Set Goals

Goals. Goals. Goals. These are the foundation of how you can live a much more purposeful life. It is significant to understand that having a specific set of goals is a key factor to being more productive and knowing what objective you are trying to reach at the end of the day. A goal is what you set it out to be. Only you have the power to control and modify them to however suites your preferences. Once you have your goals set, having the drive to follow them and live by them on a daily basis is where it really comes into perspective. If you are constantly being reminded that you have an end goal, you are going to be more motivated to reach it. Having a supportive group of friends and family is another beneficial way to help you reach your goal, even if you can have them join you, that can be more motivating!

2. Daily Meditation

By spending about 10-15 minutes of your day, meditation can help start your day off more fresh and more restful knowing that you woke up relaxed. It is a simple way of relaxing your mind and your body through the days we live. Meditation gives yourself time to focus on little things that matter, that we probably don’t notice throughout the hustle and bustle of our busy lives. It gives us the time to reflect on things we experience or gives us the opportunity to let our troubles out when it is most needed.

3. Living in The Present Moment

Whitney English

This one is very important! In society, it has become pretty evident that people don’t bask in the moment. Instead, they just focus on how good their Snapchat is or how their picture is going to look on Instagram. It’s evident all over college campuses where students dress cute and go to events to make it seem as if they are participating in whatever it may be. It’s been said many times that college is the best experience of your life and it should be! However, as social media continues to grow and new trends are being set, everyone wants to be apart of it but for the wrong reasons. It is important to understand that being in the moment is what makes the experience more special. Going to dinner with close friends and talking to them, rather than being on your phone, makes it more special. People notice those little things more than you know. Being in the moment is just one step of living a more purposeful life.

4. Putting Yourself First

Just as it is important to think about others, it is just as important to focus on yourself at the same time. It is significant to know that others notice certain things about people if someone is being out of the ordinary. Your personal mental health is just one way to focus on living a more meaningful life that you portray to society. Just as much effort and care you show for others, you should show to yourself just as much, if anything, even more. By doing so, it can help you feel more satisfied or more as if you have a true meaning to living your best life and by doing so the right way.  

5. Learning From Others

Just as you learn from your own mistakes, it’s very beneficial when you are learning from others. People were created to be different and unique in their own way. They were created to have different thoughts and beliefs in order for society to gain information and learn from them on a deeper level. Learning from others is a skill that everyone obtains at some point in their life. Whether it be from school or work, we are constantly learning something new every day from people we surround ourselves with. It helps to see things from a different perspective that can help our minds grow with more and even different types of knowledge that we would not be exposed to. It’s important to realize that by cooperating with others and working diligently, good things can come of it no matter what the situation is.

By following these 5 simple steps, you could live a much more simple and purposeful life that we all long for. There are many significant ways that we can utilize them in order to understand the world and what it obtains; it can be done so by pertaining to these 5 steps. Getting out of your comfort zone and opening up your heart more to vulnerable situations you may not be used to can be a blessing in disguise. Everyone should attempt these at some point in their life. It is the perfect way to obtain a deeper meaning of life that we all live in.

Second year Elementary Education major who is obsessed with Dutch Bros. and watching sunsets at the beaches.