danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to get out there: College Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

College is the prime time to explore and see new things and grow into the person you are meant to be. Even if you’re shy and introverted there are still fun ways to out there and have fun!

“In order to become the person you’re meant to be, living the amazing life you’re meant to live, sometimes you have to go through hard times. Sometimes you have to be broken down so that you can learn, grow, release and re-calibrate. When times are tough, remind yourself that what is happening to you is happening for a reason. —”

1. Go to parties 

Yes, this sounds bad to some but in reality, there are plenty of safe parties out there. Movie parties, dance parties and even board game parties are all fun and great ways to interact and make friends in a safe and enjoyable environment. Partying does not have to have a bad rap anymore.

2. Organize outings with friends 

Some of these outings could be going to the local zoo with that girl you met in biology or that guy who you borrowed notes from in English class. Whether you choose to go to the zoo, aquarium, art museum or even downtown, an outing off campus can bring friends together. Research free and fun places! Some art museums are free for students during certain days, some theaters have free plays to see in the park, other places might have student discounts. Always ask just in case.

3. Work off campus! Even consider an internship 

If you have a car on campus, this is a great idea! If not, work on campus and try to save up for one!

Most on campus jobs are hard to get. If you are looking for a way to meet new people and get away from campus, then working off campus is the right thing for you to do!

Another idea is to get an internship. Whether the internship is paid or not, internships provide a door way to great experiences and connections for the future. Applying as soon as possible is the way to go. During March and April, it is the perfect time to start dusting off that resume and sending it to recruiters. Summer camps are always looking for camp counselors. If you know where you’re going for the summer, you can apply specifically there. Getting a LinkedIn account comes in handy during times like these. 

4. Go on a road trip 

Similarly, to organizing outings off campus, road trips are a great way to take newer friendships and establishing them. When everyone leaves for summer, you can all remember the great road trip you had and look forward to having more next semester! It is super easy! Pick a location, either a park to camp near or a lake to swim in and calculate the gas and logging costs. Get a good estimate of people you want to invite and show them the numbers. After you have a solid number of people willing to accompany you, get a driver. Choose a car which is good on gas and dependable. Choose a good driver to two, depending how many hours you will be driving (you can switch off), and then GO. Choose a weekend or a 3 day weekend (good Friday is coming up hint hint), and enjoy one last hurrah of the semester before school gets out and everyone parts their separate ways.

Dasha is a writer, blogger and theater major at Grand Canyon University originally from Seattle, Washington.