kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Healthy Living in 3 Easy Steps

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

If you go on Pinterest right now, you’ll scroll through your feed to find wedding dresses, DIY mason jar candles, and the next best dieting tips. Click on that last pin and you’ll soon be overwhelmed with the amount of thought that people have put into how to make their body look top notch. While that’s all well and good, is life really long enough for all those numbers concerning macros, pounds, and exactly how many hairs are on your head (kidding) to be worth your time? Maybe it is; maybe you prioritize the nitty gritty. I’m way too lazy for that stuff…but that doesn’t mean I don’t want to be healthy and happy! That’s why I keep it to three easy to follow concepts of being healthy. Follow these three and I’m sure you’ll be well on your way to success! 

1. Food

Keeping your body happy starts in the kitchen. Sure, you could become a crazy calorie counter that only eats 1.2 grams of fun a day. Or, you could just use common sense to form habits that will make your body burst with joy. Where to start? The grocery store. The foods that you have easily accessible are the foods that you are going to munch on. So while those Oreos may look like they absolutely need to go in your cart, pass them up for some apples instead. Snacks to readily have on hand include: apples & peanut butter, string cheese, trail mix, berries (to eat plain or make into a smoothie), chocolate milk, yogurt & granola, hummus & pretzels, and oodles and oodles of assorted fruits and veggies. 

2. H2O

Put that energy drink down…actually, pour it down the sink! If you’re really going to take care of your body, start guzzling that beautiful, clear liquid that the good Lord has given us! Water is not an option; the health scientists have been telling us that we need to take this stuff seriously for years, and it’s about time we listen. While 64oz is the suggested minimum, try drinking one bottle (16oz) every two hours you’re awake. Not only will maintaining a healthy water habit help your body stay alert, digest your food, and boost your metabolism, but can also clear up your skin, increase your immune system’s resistance to viruses, and help you take on the day refreshed. There’s just something about this stuff that works! 

Side note: If you’re a coffee, soda, or cocktail drinker (again, no energy drinks…this is non-negotiable), that’s fine. Just remember to use self-control, and add double water for the amount of coffee/soda/alcohol you’ve had. It’s all about balance. 

3. Move! 

Ok, I get it. Getting off the couch and out and about can be really hard! But it does get easier, especially if you’ve got your body feeling good by following the first two steps. Try different things to see what works best for you before deciding on a habit to form, but don’t give up if the first thing you try isn’t your cup of tea! Remember, the gym is not the only way to get in (and stay in) shape! If you’re able to, go on a hike, go swimming, spend a day kayaking on the lake…sign up for a Zumba class, go bike riding, and simply live an active life! When you look at your week, make sure you’ve planned activities that require you to move. I’m serious — write these activities out on your calendar so that they actually happen. Bring along some friends and soon you’ll recognize that an active life will actually give you more energy! 

*Bonus*

All of this will do you absolutely no good if you don’t have a positive attitude. Even the roughest of days can be turned around with a cheery disposition. Know that you can live a healthy life — choose the best for yourself and believe that you’re on the right track! 

My roots are in Oregon, my school is in Arizona (Go Lopes Baby!) and my future is spread across the globe.
President of the Her Campus Chapter at Grand Canyon University. I am a Senior at GCU majoring in Government. I love adventures, horses and Nutella!