priscilla du preez WacbrU86JIw unsplash
priscilla du preez WacbrU86JIw unsplash
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Finding Joy After Heartbreak

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

Friend, I wish I could hug you right through this computer screen. If you clicked on this article thinking of that one certain relationship, that breakup (even with a friend) or a loss that you have recently experienced, I am so deeply sorry that you are experiencing this. I hope that my words can encourage you in some way.

Going through a heartbreak is one of the toughest things that we go through. Whatever the heartbreak may be, it’s never easy. The feeling in your heart when it’s still fresh like you can still feel them with you…really stinks. There isn’t a recipe for how to get over a heartbreak. There isn’t a formula for how to immediately feel joy again. Everyone’s heart operates differently and how you heal may look different than others. All the cliche sayings like “Everything happens for a reason” and “What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger” may all be true, but I also want to remind you that at this moment it is okay to be sad. It is necessary to feel the heartbreak in order to move forward. As strange as that may sound to some people, grieving is such an important part of the loss. Grieving allows you to reflect on the person, the memories and the feelings that you have. A lot of things in life need us to go through the ugly stuff to get to the good stuff. Meaning, you have to go through the hard processing and grieving in order to get to the healing. The heartbreak that you have experienced is unlike any other, so don’t discount your feelings through this process. Feelings are okay. Feelings are good. Feelings are needed. Part of healing means grieving and processing. Find hope in knowing that joy is for you. Joy is for the heartbroken, sad and tired. Joy was meant for you.

I think there are certain people in life who you will always love. There are certain people who you will always care for because of the impact that they had on your life. Although this isn’t something that we can always change, it’s healthy to recognize this and know in your heart that they weren’t right for you. There’s nothing wrong with caring for someone after you’ve broken up, but constantly check on your heart and remember that good things are coming. In the healing and in the waiting, don’t put life completely on pause. Have your time to wallow, but then find the happy. Don’t let fear and sadness have the final word on your spirit. This time may be a season for you to find YOU. What looks like an end to a relationship may be the beginning of a blossoming.

​I hope throughout your healing process that you are brave enough to wait for someone who is worthy of your time. I hope one day you will recognize that you are worth the wait. I hope that you can learn to channel the sadness your heart feels into joy for the hope that is coming. The hope and assurance that this world has YOU to look out for. I understand the pain that your soul has been through, and I hope through this article you are able to find peace in knowing that someone has walked through the same thing. This story is yours, you may have experienced your own, unique heartbreak along the way, but those moments do not have to define the condition of your heart eternally. You will find hope again, you will feel joy soon, the light will return in your spirit. Joy is not always held in another person, sometimes it’s in and through you as well. 

Hannah Clift

Arizona '20

Hi my name is Hannah! I am from Sacramento, California, and currently attend GCU to study Communications with a minor in Professional Writing. In my free time, I love to be with my dog JoJo, play guitar, read, and bake. I love to write about motivational and self-wellness topics! I am a senior this year and look forward to graduating and moving back to California!