The Enneagram: A New Way to Discover Yourself

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

Self-awareness is one of the most powerful tools any individual can have. When you truly know who you are, you can better navigate life’s challenges and create a healthier lifestyle. So how do we become self aware? Well, one way is to reflect. What are your habits and tendencies? What are your motives? What makes your heart happy? However, we all know that reflection is a long and boring process. Rarely anyone has the time or motivation to just sit and contemplate why they are the way they are. This is why, nowadays, people simply turn to astrology to learn more about themselves.

Almost everyone has heard of the infamous horoscopes and zodiac signs. From using it to learn their strengths, to even using it to choose a match, many are seriously involved in their horoscopic identity. Yet, there is another astrologic approach towards self awareness. It’s not as popular as horoscopes and doesn’t exactly attempt to predict the future, but it does dig deep into psychological and spiritual aspects of each personality type. This is called the Enneagram.

Blog Post — In the Thick of It Blog

According to the Merriam-Webster Dictionary, an enneagram is “a system of classifying personality types that is based on a nine-pointed starlike figure inscribed within a circle.” The nine points of the shape represent nine different personality types. Ranging from 1-9, these types include the reformer, the helper, the achiever, the individualist, the investigator, the loyalist, the enthusiast, the challenger, and the peacemaker.

I recently took the free Enneagram test online and the results were pretty accurate. I am a type 2 individual, meaning I am a helper. I have a big heart and I love to give and make people happy. However, my biggest weakness is that I tend to seek the approval of others and I’ll sometimes alter myself to fit other people’s expectations. For type 2s like me they recommend establishing boundaries and practicing more self-care.

As many of us are making resolutions to grow and improve this year, I highly recommend taking the enneagram test to help with that process. The Enneagram gives you a much better understanding of who you are and why you act the way you do. It also recommends healthy ways to practice self-care and development based on your personality. Check out www.enneagramworldwide.com to take your free test and get started on your journey to self-awareness!

Chisom Okafor

Arizona '20

Chisom is from southern California and is currently studying business administration at Grand Canyon University. She is passionate about God, people, dance, nature, and fitness/nutrition. Chisom also enjoys writing, and is excited to contribute to the Her Campus website.