Easy Smoothie Recipes For The Busy College Gal

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

Kick-starting your day with a smoothie is a great alternative to a typical breakfast. If you’re like me and are not a fan of food in the morning, then a smoothie is the perfect breakfast option for you. Skipping breakfast can have harmful effects on the body, which make you tired while slowing down your metabolism. Smoothies are quick and simple, making them one of the best options for someone who has limited time in their morning routine. Put your smoothie in a travel cup for class or when you’re on the go. Feel free to tailor these recipes to your liking, and enjoy!

1. Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie

This breakfast smoothie tastes like it shouldn’t be healthy. Packed with protein, this shake is a great way to get your day going. Have a sweet tooth? Instead of indulging in unhealthy sweets that are loaded with fats and sugars, replace them with this smoothie. You will be satisfied, while still remaining healthy. Save your cheat day for when you’re hungover and craving  In-N’-Out. It’ll be calories better spent, trust me. 

Ingredients

2 large, overripe bananas, peeled, sliced and frozen*

1 cup almond milk (or whatever your milk preference may be)

3/4 cup ice

1/4 cup peanut butter

2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder (optional)

1/2 tsp vanilla extract (optional)

Put all of the ingredients in a food processor or blender on medium speed. After you see all of the ingredients blended well (about two to three minutes), serve immediately. 

*Frozen is ideal, if not, you may want to add more ice and less milk.

2. Peach Green Tea Smoothie

This smoothie tastes like summer in a cup. It is just the right amount of sweet and is incredibly refreshing. Green tea takes the place of milk or juice as the main ingredient, which makes the smoothie delicious. Green tea is loaded with antioxidants and nutrients that have powerful effects on the body. These include improved brain function, fat loss, a lower risk of cancer and many other incredible benefits. Along with this, you will get a serving of fruit and protein.

Ingredients

½ banana, frozen

1 cup green tea

1 heaping cup peaches, frozen

2 tbsp honey

½ tsp vanilla extract

½ cup Greek yogurt

½ cup of ice

Put all of the ingredients in a food processor or blender on medium speed, then increase to high after one minute. After another minute, turn off the blender and serve.

3. Kale-Apple Smoothie

I’m actually not a fan of kale at all— I think it tastes kind of gross by itself. However, kale is packed with nutrients, and you can’t even taste it in smoothies! This is a great way to add some much needed vitamins and minerals, especially if you’re not really a fan of certain vegetables. 

Ingredients 

¾ cup chopped kale, ribs and thick stems removed 

1/2 banana

½ cup apple juice

½ cup ice

1 tbsp fresh lemon juice

1 small stalk celery, chopped (optional)

Put all of the ingredients in a food processor or blender for two minutes on high, then serve.

4. Vanilla Chai Smoothie

Chai tea lattes are one of Starbucks’ and Dunkin Donuts’ most popular beverages. However, they’re usually packed with calories and don’t have a high nutritional value. Instead of shelling out cash for these overpriced beverages, simply make your own vanilla chai smoothie. Your wallet and your body will thank you. 

Ingredients

1 cup unsweetened cashew milk 

1 cup unsweetened chai tea, brewed and cooled

8 oz (one personal container) of vanilla yogurt

Ice, if needed

Put all of the ingredients in a food processor or blender on medium speed for one to two minutes before serving.

5. Mango Smoothie

Mangos are sweet, natural treats that taste like candy. This super tropical beverage is perfect for spring or summer days. Not only are mangos delicious, but they also have incredible benefits, including clearer skin, boosting the immune system, and better sex (wink, wink). 

Ingredients

1 cup chopped ripe mango 

½ cup low-fat milk

½ cup ice

¼ cup plain low-fat yogurt

1 tablespoon honey

Put all of the ingredients in a food processor or blender on high for one minute, then serve.

President of the Her Campus Chapter at Grand Canyon University. I am a Senior at GCU majoring in Government. I love adventures, horses and Nutella!