kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

The Beginning of an Era, The End of a Journal

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

The 2010’s was a decade full of incredible technological discoveries as well as unforgettable trends. Along with all the advancements that were made, finishing a journal cover to cover was a major accomplishment for me. My encouragement for you in the roaring 20’s is to consider starting a journal and document all of the fun, sad and eventful times in your life! Looking back in a journal is a memorable experience and having those memories to keep forever in a written book makes it that much more special. Below, I will share the final entry I wrote in my journal and the impact that completing this journal had on my life.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/504332858272621901/

“This particular journal has seen me through some of the biggest transitions in my life so far. It has seen victories, great days, bad days, dreams, hopes for the future and random to-do lists. But mainly, this journal has seen heartbreak, confusion, coffee-stained and tear-filled pages of “I don’t know what’s going to happen next” moments. Many mornings, nights, airplane rides, car rides, and parked on the side of the road at a look out spot moments were spent curled up with this journal writing and learning about Jesus, about myself, and working through the messy tears and the not figured out. This journal is monumental for many reasons and I want to share a few things that I have learned:

I learned more about myself than I ever have. I learned that my worth is not defined by what another person thinks I am capable of. I learned that my emotions are valid and my feelings make me unique. I learned that you can be emotional and strong. I learned that being brave is never going to feel brave. I learned that if someone wants to be in your life, they will find a way to make it happen. I learned that people’s actions will show what their true intentions are. I learned that it’s okay to have off days and off weeks. I learned that healing is a process and that process is crucial for growth. I learned that it’s okay and good to celebrate yourself. I learned that your purpose doesn’t stop in your season of waiting.

While there were many lessons learned and pages full of ink, this journal is still a work in progress.This journal has seen prayers that haven’t been spoken, letters to people who I will never see again, dreams that were just dreams, unfinished poems, and work-in-progress song lyrics. My favorite part about writing is that it never has to end. These lessons, dreams, lyrics and lists are all things I will carry and unfold with me in the next journal, and the next one and the next one. This journal is a time capsule, a moment in time, a season, a snapshot of a year and a half of me. Just as seasons shift and trees transition to warmer colors, I will continue to grow and bloom wherever I am planted.

Every journal I have, I give it a name or a title that I believe fits the theme of the written words. The word that I have chosen for this journal is “redemption.” As I look back on these pages and read what my heart has gone through and where I am now, I can see God has been redeeming my soul. Through the times of “Am I doing this right?” or “Did I make the right decision?” The faithfulness of God revealed as He had this plan all along. I like to believe that God’s Hand was hovering over mine as I wrote the words on these pages. Like a teacher helping and guiding their student learning how to write, God guided me through these pages. Slowly pulling back the sheet as I wrote, God revealed His faithfulness to me, redeeming my heart, time and time again.

Friends, healing is not pretty. The process is not fun. You may feel like you haven’t improved at all, or haven’t taken big steps forward, but turn around for a moment and look how far you have come from the past year. All of those baby, tiny steps have led to big ones. Don’t wait until the job, the person, the money, or the thing to live your life. You are here on purpose for a purpose. Your story is important and I hope that you share it. Even if it’s with a journal between you and God. The impact that writing it all down has on your life is monumental. There is always more growing we can do, and more to learn about Jesus and about ourselves. I can’t wait to start my next journal and see how all of my dreams, prayers and plans will unfold for that season. The scary, the unfamiliar, the messy prayers and tear-filled pages? That’s right where it gets good. So hang on friend, the redemption is coming for ya.”

Hannah Clift

Arizona '20

Hi my name is Hannah! I am from Sacramento, California, and currently attend GCU to study Communications with a minor in Professional Writing. In my free time, I love to be with my dog JoJo, play guitar, read, and bake. I love to write about motivational and self-wellness topics! I am a senior this year and look forward to graduating and moving back to California!