jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Mental Health

Are Psychedelics Making a Comeback?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

The history of psychedelics, also known as serotonergic hallucinogens, dates as far back as 1000 B.C. Early religious and sociocultural contexts commenced the use of psychedelics, particularly mushrooms, as a crucial part of sacred rituals. However, psychedelics did not integrate into American society until the 1960s and had a rather short existence when the Controlled Substance Abuse Act was passed in 1970, prohibiting the use of psychedelics for both recreational and research purposes. 

It was no question that psychedelic counterculture was deviant of the ‘status quo,’ hence the pushback from the federal government and the birth of the anti-war movement. Findings from recent clinical research suggest that microdosed psychedelics, in conjunction with psychotherapy, have proven to be effective treatments for cancer-induced anxiety, depressive disorders, and nicotine addiction. This is because with most psychiatric disorders, including anxiety and depression, the brain’s default mode network neural circuitry becomes increasingly fatigued and therefore in need of agonist drugs like psilocybin. 

https://www.news-medical.net/health/Prisoner-Anxiety.aspx

The United States is currently in a mental health epidemic where prisons have become the new asylums, and more college students are provided with a diagnosis rather than a degree. According to a 2016 John Hopkins study, a small amount of polyphyletic fungi can go a long way. Psychedelic researcher Roland Griffiths stated that out of 51 participants, 83% reported significant increase in psychological well-being and feelings of satisfaction. Although psychedelic research is still in its premature phases, microdosing psilocybin ancillary as psychotherapy can provide hope for the 15% of the population suffering with a psychiatric condition, both related and unrelated to cancer who are left hopeless from conventional treatments. 

Mental health conditions come in all different shapes and sizes, which is why Selective Serotonin Reuptake-Inhibitors can work wonders for some, but might not affect others who are diagnosed with a more severe condition. Perhaps microdosing is efficacious psychopharmacological intervention, because it uses one-tenth to one-twentieth of a standard dose to activate serotonin 5-hydroxytryptamine 2A receptor sites and deactivate the default mode network, thus slowing down racing thoughts of the anxious mind and loosening the cognitive barriers of a depressive one. 

Because the molecular structure of popular psychedelics like LSD, psilocybin, and mescaline closely mimics that of serotonin, the cognitive and perceptual effects are therefore more potent and long-lasting compared to other psychoactive drugs. This is why microdosing is an essential component for safe treatment of psychiatric ailments. It has long been understood by mental health clinicians and medical practitioners that a prolonged use of psychedelics and improper dosages can be catalysts of psychosis, hyperactive dendritic synapses, and worsening Hallucinogen Persisting Perceptual Disorder, or HPPD. 

It is clear that treating mental health is increasingly convoluted in today’s society. The use of psychedelics is yet another controversial treatment for psychological disorders next to other treatments like electroconvulsive therapy (ECT) and deep brain stimulation. The question that must be asked is not whether desperate times call for desperate measures, but rather if we are willing to pursue desperate measures regarding mental health. 

Reference:

Illing, S. (2019, March 8). The extraordinary therapeutic potential of psychedelic drugs, explained. Retrieved from https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2019/1/10/18007558/denver-psilocy…

A sophomore Communications major at GCU who is passionate about Jesus, writing, watching Netflix, and taking long walks to the campus Chick-Fil-A.