This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

Sweaty palms, a beating heart, adrenaline rushing through the veins: Love has a way of making someone feel in extreme internal and external forms. These feelings can be exaggerated when turning to the media for insight on love and relationships. According to a study from the University of Michigan, “frequent exposure to romance and courtship in this idealized form could lead viewers to adopt equally idealized notions about relationships in the real world.” Will this knowledge stop people from consuming “unhealthy” idealizations of love and relationships? Absolutely not … and it shouldn’t. Below are four couples on Netflix, whose chemistry will skyrocket your expectations. 

Kathani “Kate” Sharma (Simone Ashley) and Anthony Bridgerton (Jonathan Bailey) are main characters from the Netflix original series Bridgerton. Anthony, the eldest Bridgerton sibling is on a quest to find a wife, and seeks the hand of Edwina Sharma (Charithra Chandran), only to find that her older sister, the bold and witty Kate, is better suited for him. Their feelings for one another are overshadowed by their duties to their families. With many prolonged stares and “almost” kisses, Ashley and Bailey master the slow-burn romance trope. In a PEOPLE article, creator Chris Van Dusen states, “The frustration you feel between the two of them, it’s really palpable and they’re magnetic.”

The Netflix original movie, Always Be My Maybe, features Sasha Tran (Ali Wong) and Marcus Kim (Randall Park). Childhood sweethearts, Sasha and Marcus have gone their separate ways; they have an unprecedented reunion when Sasha visits their hometown, and the two quickly realize that something special has been there all along. Since Sasha and Marcus’s relationship is founded on a loving friendship, their romantic connection is further magnified as they explore new grounds. According to a Vox article, this movie will lead viewers to believe that, “the one who got away is the one you’re meant to be with.” 

Michaela Stone (Melissa Roxburgh) and Jared Vasquez (J.R. Ramirez) are from the television series Manifest. Originally an NBC show, Manifest will be an official Netflix series for its remaining season(s). After five-and-a-half years of being presumed dead, Michaela mysteriously returns. As Michaela looks forward to being reunited with fiancé Jared, she finds that he has moved on. Due to these circumstances, Michaela and Jared choose to explore other romantic interests. Even so, their connection remains untouchable. As stated by Ramirez regarding Jared’s character, in Cinema Blend, “he’s always going to have her back.” Their work-related partnership, complicated romantic encounters, and ongoing tension as old feelings arise creates exhilarating interactions for viewers. 

Jennifer Sterling (Shailene Woodley) and Anthony O’Hare (Callum Turner) are from the Netflix original movie The Last Letter from Your Lover. The movie switches between two alternating timelines when present-day journalist, Ellie Haworth (Felicity Jones) is captivated by Jennifer and Anthony’s love when she discovers letters from their 1960’s affair. An article from Culture Vultures describes the couple’s relationship in the following way: “from platonic sightseeing adventures to a heart-pounding love both cannot ignore.” Their heartbreakingly beautiful story is defined by Jennifer’s difficult circumstances and Anthony meeting her with tenderness and understanding. Their unbreakable bond teaches viewers the basis of unconditional love.  

Each couple teaches audiences something different about love. However, an overlapping theme that can be found in each relationship is that friendship or having a mutual respect or understanding separate from romance is the key to a successful and long-lasting relationship. Although consuming romance in the media can have negative influences on individuals, there is a flipside to the argument. According to a PEOPLE article, watching romantic films with your partner and following up with a meaningful discussion regarding your own wants/needs can strengthen your relationship. Ladies, it’s time to bring out the tissues and ice cream for date night! 

My name is Kailani Kaaihue. I was born and raised on the Big Island of Hawaii but am currently living in Phoenix, Arizona. I am a senior at Grand Canyon University and am majoring in English with an Emphasis in Professional Writing. I'm an aspiring grant writer and journalist and hope to use this platform to inspire others.