This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

I think it’s safe to say that everyone is obsessed with social media and our digital devices in general. It definitely has its positives, like being able to communicate with our friends and family from miles away and sharing our fun adventures from time to time. But like everything else, it must be used in moderation. Scrolling on our phones for hours can become draining and impact us negatively. We can end up comparing our lives to others, constantly wanting to check every single notification ding, spending time on our phone when we have important tasks to get done, and other drawbacks. Even if it feels useless or lethargic to scroll for hours it can honestly cause us to feel stressed out.

If you have noticed that you’re feeling like this or that you might be overindulging on social media, then you might want to try out a digital detox! 

What is a digital detox? 

A digital detox is a period of time where someone actively refrains from using any digital devices and social media platforms. The main goal is to reduce screen time and take a break from phones, laptops, etc.… 

How can we have a digital detox? 

The definition above says that a digital detox is to completely be free from our digital devices, but that is a broad definition. 

Understandably, many people are completely dependent on technology for daily activities and that means complete separation from technology is not going to be an option. Most of us need to use our devices every day, so a digital detox does not need to be as strict as the definition seems. 

Everyone is different so there are many ways you can do a digital detox. Here are a few examples: 

1. Completely unplugging from technology (No phone, no social media, no laptop, etc.…) 
  2. Refrain from all social media, but still, use your phone 
  3. Stop using a specific app that you find addictive (Like a game)
  4. Stop using a certain device in a certain situation/place (Ex. no phone before bed)

These are just a few examples of how you can do a digital detox, but it will ultimately depend on your lifestyle. 

What to do during your digital detox?

As I have mentioned above, there are so many ways to do a detox, and this also means there is going to be a varying number of times and frequencies you will do it.

You might choose to detox for one hour each day, one full day of every month, or even an entire week. 

With that being said, these activities will vary in time and applicability depending on how you choose to structure your digital detox. 

1. Go for a stroll 
2. Cook or bake
3. Start a fun project 
4. Read 
5. Learn something new 
6. Play a board game, puzzle, crossword, or cards 
7. DIY something 
8. Get into gardening 
9. Go for a picnic
10. Take time to self-reflect or meditate

Tips for your digital detox: 

• Decide and plan how you will do your detox
  • Be accountable to someone
  • Fill up your time with activities and things to do
  • Try to make it a detox day
  • Enjoy it!
I’m a Junior at GCU working towards my Bachelor’s degree in Elementary Education. I love learning new things and being creative 24/7. A few of my hobbies are running my small business, singing, dancing (badly), playing with my pup and enjoying the amazing people I surround myself with!