This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCSU chapter.

As young adults in a world that likes to throw new challenges at us (the next presidential election, research papers, Ricky Gervais at the Golden Globes), advice and inspiration are always welcome.

Luckily for you, this week I hunkered down behind my computer and searched the depths of Youtube until the glow of my computer screen sucked me into a vortex of the interwebs. I found some of the best Youtube channels to answer all the questions of us bewildered college students and also a few channels that were just for kicks. Hopefully these channels will help you have a great semester!

#1: JAMIE OLIVER’S DRINKS TUBE

This one’s for: curious sippers, spirit-lovers, those who’s alter-ego is a prohibition bartender.

I had no idea there were so many tasty liquid treats out there before I came across this channel. Jamie Oliver – also known as the Naked Chef because of his passion for natural or “naked” ingredients – is the founder of a wonderful cooking channel, Jamie Oliver’s Food Tube. Still, his DrinksTube remains a personal favorite because of its straightforward approach to drink recipes and because of its amazing guests like Hannah Hart and Grace Helbig. There are whole sections for anyone who doesn’t partake in alcoholic libations with tea and smoothies and so much more. Plus, the more “spirited” drinks come in every shape and flavor – from how to make four different types of martinis to a “Darth-and-Stormy”!

#2 LA BLOGOTHEQUE

This one’s for: Spotifiers, musicians, obscure music – addicts

“For nearly ten years, La Blogotheque has changed the way people experience music. We film beautiful, rare and intimate sessions with your favorite artists, and the ones you are soon to fall in love with. Come, stay a while, and be taken away.” 

I love the places La Blogotheque’s musical sessions take place and the artists they choose never fail to impress me. My favorites are their Take Away Shows where they film great artists acoustically all around the world in public places. You can find well-known gods and goddesses of music (Jack White, Bon Iver, The Staves, Fleet Foxes, and Phoenix) being raw and romantic with the bare minimum of instruments and you can also discover people you’ve never heard of before they blow up the music world. It’s definitely worth a watch. 

#3 YOGA WITH ADRIENE

This one’s for: Yogi’s, curious athletes, uplifting souls, new year’s resolution-ists 

This is a very popular yoga channel because it’s a quality yoga channel. Adriene’s personality is calm, humorous, and uplifting and so is her yoga. It’s perfect if you want to get healthy for the new year or just stay calm throughout the semester. She even has a video called “Yoga for Hangovers” that might come in handy if you take a liking to DrinksTube. Namaste. 

#4 BLOGILATES

This one’s for: introvert gym rats

Sometimes you just don’t want to leave the house. Sometimes you just want to do a good workout in your pajamas. It looks girly, but Cassey Ho’s Pilates work-outs are for everyone who has the will to power through. If you’re serious about your New Year’s resolution to be healthy and tone up, then this channel is for you.  If you do happen to leave the comfort of your dorm/house/apartment, then there is a fantastic Pilates instructor at the wellness center every Monday and Wednesday evening. Click here to check her out!

#5 SEXPLANATIONS

This one’s for: the curious, the sex positive, anyone who values good sex education

Dr. Lindsey Doe informs and entertains the universe with what she calls “sexedutainment,” where she talks about anything and everything under the sun that has to do with sex. She is a doctor of human sexuality and she explains things with excitement and nerdy cuteness. This channel is fascinating and so valuable as a source of information. Dr. Doe is sex positive and people positive and she’s always reminding us to “stay curious!” Also, fun fact, this channel is produced by the vlogbrothers (Hank and John Green). 

If you’re interested in more, another great channel is Sex+ by Laci Green, a sex education activist. She shies away from nothing and her boldness is inspiring. She’s closer to college age and I think that makes her very relatable in the topics she talks about. 

#6 SUGARMAMMA

This one is for: the big spenders, neatnicks, those who want to organize their life.

This gorgeous gal has been a financial guru for fifteen years and she’s passionate about helping people become financially independent and intelligent with simple advice. She breaks things down simply and talks about living with nice things, minimally. As students, most of us are newbies to financial responsibility, yet, thanks to student loans, scholarships, grocery shopping, jobs, and the responsibilities that come with being more independent, we all have to face that financial responsibility. I’ve discovered that there’s not really a learning curve. You just have to jump right in and see what happens. Not only is this channel surprisingly entertaining, it’s a wise watch. 

HONORABLE MENTIONS:

The Youtube Superteam community:

(Most of these you might have heard of due to their popularity. If not, check them out randomly. There’s a reason they are so popular.)

My Harto (Hannah Hart’s My Drunk Kitchen)

Mamrie Hart

Grace Helbig

Ingrid Nilson

Vlogbrothers (Hank and John Green)

Hannah Witton

Community Channel

Unsolicited Project

BuzzFeedVideo

Stuff Mom Never Told You

NPR Music

Youtube Web Series:

A lot of these are modern twists on great literature where the stories are told via vlog. 

The Lizzie Bennet Diaries – Pride and Prejudice 

Til Lease Do Us Part – Gay Women’s Channel original

Frankenstein MD – Frankenstein

Carmilla – Based on a college fantasy book series

Emma Approved – Jane Austin’s Emma

The New Adventures of Peter and Wendy – Peter Pan

Nothing Much to Do – Much Ado About Nothing

Laura Grace Sears is a sophomore aspiring to write for television, a dream inspired by the massive amounts of tv she watches. She enjoys people, pop culture, clothes and many other great things that would be of no use in the event of a zombie apocalypse. Nevertheless she continues to wallow in the creative parts of life. You can find her music page at facebook.com/MusicLauraGrace and follow her on pinterest at pinterest.com/lauragracesears.