Pros and Cons of Graduating

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCSU chapter.

Are you graduating this Spring? Are you both nervous and excited to begin the next chapter of your life? Join the rest of us graduating seniors! There are pros and cons to graduating, and here are the top 10 you’re likely experiencing!

1. Pro: No more tests/group projects

Though you’ll probably have to work in groups during your career, they won’t be nearly as difficult as coordinating with 3 other people that have vastly different schedules and levels of motivation. “When I die, I want my group project members to bury me so they can let me down one more time.” 

2. Con: Waking up early

You won’t be able to sleep in until 9, 10, or 11am every day as an adult. You’ll probably be waking up at 6 to get ready and commute to work, but at least you’re getting paid!

3. Pro: Making money

No more broke college kid life…you’ll finally have money to eat, go to concerts, take trips, and do far more things than you could while you were balling on a budget!

4. Con: Finding a job

Job search is the dread of most graduating seniors. There’s hardly time to search and apply for jobs while you’re finishing classes, studying for your last finals, and planning graduation celebrations. Be patient, though!

5. Pro: Infinite opportunities/possibilites

You can move anywhere you want, and this is the time to do it! It becomes much harder to make major life changes as you get older, so take advantage of the opportunity for a new beginning now!

6. Con: Moving back home

A lot of graduates have to move back home before they find a job, and this can be a hard transition after having the freedom of college for four years. Re-adjusting to life with your parents around can be frustrating, but don’t lose hope and keep applying for jobs.

7. Pro: Bragging rights

Over 50% of Americans who begin college don’t graduate. You’re part of the 50% that stuck with it and earned your degree!

8. Con: Endless “Do you have a job yet?” 

Everyone in your family and circle of friends wants to see you succeed and get your dream job, but this can mean being asked this question hundreds of times. 

9. Pro: More independence

You’re finally a full-blown adult, and with that comes great power and great responsibility. Though you’ll have to start paying bills, you’ll also be able to do things you couldn’t before you had money and freedom from academic life. 

10. Con: Leaving your college town and friends

Though you’re moving on to bigger and better things, you’ll miss the town you spent the last four years in and all the friends you made. You’ll meet plenty of new people at your job and new town, though, and you can always visit your college town when you feel nostalgic!

Savannah is a senior marketing major at Georgia College and State University, which is the best college in Georgia by far. She enjoys working out, listening to her favorite bands (Jack White/White Stripes and Led Zeppelin), traveling, and watching netflix. She hopes to be found working on a major advertising campaign one day, or maybe traveling the world in a hippie van. You can follow her on instagram: s_avonlea