Mission Impossible: How to Maintain a Social Life, Good Grades, and Sleep

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCSU chapter.

We’ve all heard this typical college formula: good grades, social life, and sleep. Pick two. For me, the choice always ends up being good grades and sleep. Because I love my sleep time. But I think it is possible to have all three – if one can learn to manage time well.

The main issue among college students is that they throw themselves either completely into their social lives and ignore their studies or vice versa. Yet, it is possible to be able to have friends that you see on a regular basis and pass the Organic Chemistry Class.

1. Learn to manage your time.

The issue here is that most college students will simply write on the back of receipts or scrap pieces of paper when they will meet a friend or when that term paper is due. THIS IS WRONG.  People, listen to me. You need to invest in a planner – like a daily, weekly, monthly, and maybe even hourly planner. You need to write things down. In the planner. Every day. This is the best way to ensure you won’t miss social calls or important homework. You know, the reason you’re in college?

These large planners are incredibly helpful and don’t have to cost you an arm and a leg. Local stores like Walmart and Target have large planners that will help you stay on track.

2. Learn to say “no.”

Another issue many college students have is that they feel like they can’t say no to a friend or to a party. Let me tell you: it’s okay to say no. You don’t have to go to every party or go get coffee with every friend who asks. Especially if you have homework you know you need to do. Your friends won’t hate you if you spend a night at the library instead of hanging out with them once and a while. In fact, decreasing the amount of social events you go to will actually make the ones you do go to more fun, instead of obligatory. So, learn to say no. It will help you in the long run.

3. Take you time.

This may sound silly, but schedule some specific you time in that nifty new planner you just bought yourself. Spending time alone to refuel will help you in both your social life and in your academic life. Watch a movie, take a nap, go shopping alone, etc. Do whatever you like to do and make time to do it.

This is a basic guide to helping you learn to manage your time and learn to master all three signs of a good college experience: sleep, good grades, and a social life. You can do it! 

Author of the Forget Me Not Trilogy. Drinker of too much coffee. Obsessed with all things French. Owner of pink, sparkly things. In love with Jesus!