books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

How To Avoid Procrastination in 5 Steps

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCSU chapter.

It’s that time of year again. The air gets cold, the leaves have fallen, and you have four research papers, three tests, two presentations, and a partridge in a pear tree. Well, not so much the last one.

But who really has time to think about school when the weather has finally turned cold and Thanksgiving break is so close, you can taste it? I have complied a short list of ways to stay focused and avoid procrastination. Even if your holiday movie Netflix is calling your name. I’ve been there. Many times.

1. Write out a to do list

This may stress you out a bit, but THAT’S GOOD. It helps you avoid putting things off when you see a list of things that need to get done. Plus it is the best feeling the world to be able to cross things off. I love my to do lists.

2. Eliminate Distractions

Turn off your phone, disconnect the Internet, ignore your friends, turn off the TV, and focus. If you can manage to stay away from all the things that you know will distract you even for a moment, do. You will be much more productive and be more inclined to finish your work faster.

And for the love of all that is good and holy, STAY. OFF. PINTEREST. It is a black hole my friends. A terrible black hole of procrastination.

3. Plan out your academic life

Get a planner and plan things, people. Write out the due dates and plan accordingly. If you have two papers due on the same day, then this is especially helpful and will avoid unnecessary procrastination and stress.  I personally enjoy the Lily Pulitzer Jumbo planner. Its pretty colors make the schoolwork not seem so bad. So pretty.

4. Take a deep breath

Seriously, before you begin your work, take a deep breath and relax. Everything will get done as long as you don’t panic and focus. Often procrastination brings on panic and stress that sometimes will not always be helpful. It is necessary to give yourself plenty of time to do your work, but also to take deep breaths. You will make it.

5. Treat yourself when you accomplish something

Rewarding yourself with either some TV time, a small Facebook break, or even some hot chocolate will motivate you to keep working. You basically must treat yourself like a small child.

“If I write out this 8-page research paper, I will watch an episode of (insert your favorite show here).” That way, you will be more inclined to get it done.

I hope these pointers have been helpful. Remember, we are rooting for you. We are all rooting for you! 

Author of the Forget Me Not Trilogy. Drinker of too much coffee. Obsessed with all things French. Owner of pink, sparkly things. In love with Jesus!