coronavirus medical gear
coronavirus medical gear
Her Campus Media
Wellness > Health

what to know about healthcare services in and around greenville

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Furman chapter.

College is hard. That is something we definitely all know by now. Taking care of your physical health is crucial to succeed, but what do you do when the care you need isn’t offered at Earle Student Health Center? Or what if you feel more comfortable going somewhere off-campus?

I’m sure we all know about the Prisma Health System as their offices are dotted throughout Traveler’s Rest and Greenville (and our own health center is a part of Prisma!) However, these services are not accessible to everyone, especially those who are low income or uninsured.

In this article, I want to inform you of all of your health services options based on your particular circumstances. There are three clinics to know about: Greenville Free Medical Clinic, Greenville Women’s Clinic, and Planned Parenthood of Asheville, North Carolina.

Greenville Free Medical Clinic

The Greenville Free Medical Clinic offers both medical and dental services available on certain days of the week. They offer the following:

• Diagnosis and treatment of most acute and chronic illnesses
  • Preventative Gynecology Care: first and third Mondays of the month (registration begins at 9 am)
  • Ophthalmology Clinic: alternates weekly between Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday (Tuesday and Thursday registration begins at 10 am, Wednesday registration begins at 9 am)
  • Specialty medical services are also offered on a case-by-case basis. If you need to contact the GFMC to find out if your needs are covered, you can call the number listed below.

A full list of services offered (and not offered) can be found at this link: http://www.greenvillefreeclinic.org/medical-services 

Because of limited funding and resources, the Free Medical Clinic cannot offer services to those who do not meet the following criteria:

1. Greenville County resident
  2. Uninsured (no Medicare, Medicaid, private insurance, veteran’s benefits or any access to any other coverage)
  3. Low-income (based on all income in patient’s household)
  4. No other established “medical home” for care

This list can also be found on the GFMC website.

Greenville Women’s Clinic

The Greenville Women’s Clinic provides a range of women’s health care services to those in need in the Greenville area. Services provided by the GWC include but are not limited to:

1. Office visit with/without pap smear
  2. Ultrasounds
  3. IUD Insertion
  4. IUD Removal
  5. Birth Control Implant Removal

Please know that the GWC is not a free medical clinic, and with ongoing abortion debates, the services offered now (particularly abortion services listed on the site) may not be offered in the near future. Prices for services offered can be found at this link: https://www.greenvillewomensclinic.com/fees

Planned Parenthood of Asheville, North Carolina

If you are looking for a Planned Parenthood clinic, the one nearest to Furman is in Asheville. Services provided at the Asheville Planned Parenthood include but are not limited to:

1. Abortion
  2. Abortion referrals
  3. Birth control services
  4. HIV services
  5. Men’s healthcare
  6. Emergency contraception
  7. Pregnancy testing and services
  8. Primary care
  9. STD testing/treatment/vaccines
  10. Transgender hormone therapy
  11. Women’s health care

Again, please note that ongoing abortion debates may affect the availability of abortion services. This list is up to date at the time of writing this article. To learn more about the costs associated with these services, follow this link: https://www.plannedparenthood.org/get-care/our-services

Important Links and Phone Numbers

Leah Manning

Furman '24

Leah is a junior biology major with a women's, gender, and sexuality studies minor. She enjoys the outdoors, and loves to spend her free time hiking. She also loves the Lumineers and listens to their music any chance she gets. She hopes to eventually attend medical school and become an ObGyn. She is passionate about politics; particularly how they impact healthcare and disability services.