Health Vagina Sex Periods Std Feminism
Health Vagina Sex Periods Std Feminism
Molly Longest / Her Campus
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

What Being the Daughter of Two Gynecologists Taught Me

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Furman chapter.

Being the daughter of two gynecologists has given me quite the unique relationship with my parents. Growing up, I thought our family dynamic and topics of conversation were normal and routine. I have only now realized how special and different our bond is in my adulthood. The topic of sex has never been extremely awkward in my house as it may be in others’ homes. Sex has never been percieved as a sin or shameful act in my family. I was never afraid to ask a question and I was certainly never misinformed. 

My first experience with “The Talk” happened when I was around nine years old. Throughout middle school and high school, I probably received this talk at least 50 more times. My parents showed me images of genital warts so that I would understand the consequences of unsafe sex. They told vivid birth stories at the dinner table, to ensure that I knew what pregnancy would entail. When my parents caught me with a boy for the first time, the consequence they gave me was to have me start taking birth control. 

Throughout high school, my parents were always willing to listen to, and even intrigued by, the high school sex drama. I told my parents nearly everything about my high school peers, like who was hooking up with who, who had broken up with who, and even who may have had a pregnancy scare. In college, my friends have certainly used my parents’ openness to their advantage. You would be shocked by how many of my friends have called my parents regarding STDs, pregnancy signs, or any other question regarding their sexual health. 

If I haven’t proved it already, my dad is one of the coolest, most unique dads I know. I know countless women who are afraid to talk about anything regarding sex with their dad, but my dad has talked to me more about boys than anyone else in my life. He has always been the person I turn to when I am lost in a relationship or need to vent, and he keeps up with all the gossip I share with him. He never makes things awkward and wouldn’t dare shame me which makes me trust him more than anyone else. 

Although I rolled my eyes at every “sex talk” or scary STD story from my parents, I now realize that they were just trying to teach me that sex isn’t a topic I should ever be afraid to talk about. They did not want me to feel the need to lie to them about a topic they deal with every day. They didn’t want me feeling confused or ashamed. I’m grateful for having parents that taught me that talking about sex should be an open conversation, not a one-time lesson. 

Sarah Briere

Furman '22

Sarah Briere is a junior at Furman studying Psychology. In addition to being a writer for HerCampus, she is the Merchandise Chair for Alpha Delta Pi sorority. In her free time, she enjoys painting, doing makeup, and dancing. After college, she hopes to help women be the best version of themselves as a Clinical Psychologist.