Culture > News

An Open Letter to the “Thot Audit” Whistleblowers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Furman chapter.

Dear Whistleblowers,

Once more your internet confidence and internalized hatred of freely sexual women has gotten the best of you. Your efforts are in layman’s terms: total bullshi*t.

These women you seek to expose as a punishment for their bodily freedom will not be brought down by your half-assed effort to get someone in bed with you. The hatred that you allow to ooze from your pores each time you log-in to reddit to speak to your fellow haters will get you nowhere.

The ideas which you reinforce that the world favors women is entirely wrong. The mere fact that your sh*itty agenda got any attention is a perfect example that the world does not favor women, rather the world forces women to combat the male-dominated world, and yet when they find success in any capacity they are punished for it.

Your efforts to report these sex workers, of whom I assume many of you willingly pay to watch and probably enjoy taunting at their expense is another reminder to the world that in your mind women who take control of their lives, both financially and sexually must be punished.

It has been too long that women have had to live in a world that punishes us simply for existing. We are vilified, punished, and ridiculed for each and every action in our daily lives.

But we are living in a new era, one that allows women these rights and freedom of expression, the very ones that permit you to sit on your computer spewing hatred each and every day. Blaming women for your inability to get some, wishing all women would vanish, while still craving the attention of the very thing you claim to despise.

1992 was dubbed “The Year of the Woman” but I see this very trend reemerging in 2018. Women are finding their strength, speaking up for what they believe in in public, which is more than can be said for many of you.

And for the record to be a whistleblower, you’d need a heck of a lot more information than a username and a photograph.

XOXO,

Better luck next time!

Olivia Glad

Furman '21

Olivia Glad is a senior majoring in Sociology with a minor in Women, Gender, and Sexuality studies, a writer for HerCampus, a peer leader and mentor, as well as a Resident Assistant. She is an avid supporter of women, social justice, and self-reflection and has written numerous papers and engaged in passion projects about these topics. She loves the color pink and a nice iced coffee after a long day of classes. She hopes to become a college professor or program director to enlighten young minds, but ultimately to become a mentor and friend to all.
Mackenzie Smith is the Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus at Furman University. She is a senior majoring in Public Health with a minor in Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies. Mackenzie has a passion for making sure women feel empowered and important throughout all stages of life which can be seen through her work with Girlology and The Homeless Period Project.