Wellness > Mental Health

My Experience With the Mental Health Resources at Furman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Furman chapter.

It has officially been one year since I started therapy. I can say with full confidence that since then my mental, social, and emotional health – along with my academic performance – have all improved. Before coming to college, I had never received any type of mental health care, but I am so glad that has changed.

At the beginning of each semester, our professors hand out our syllabi for every class. These always include a section that lists out student resources like the counseling center, the university chaplain, and the health center. I had always just glanced over that section, and like I assume many of you do, only read the parts detailing how I would earn my grade and when my exams were. 

I actually made the decision to call the counseling center after my heart rate was too high to donate blood for the second time. I had struggled with my mental health for a long time, but I had always assumed it was normal. I called, made the appointment, filled out their intake survey, and had my first appointment the next week. It definitely took some getting used to as I had never had to just sit and talk about how I was feeling before. I left the counseling center that day feeling relieved, but also excited about the changes I could make. I was also referred back up to the health center to discuss being put on medication.

It was at that health center appointment that I actually received the diagnoses of depression and anxiety. I was put on medication that I have continued to this day. Every healthcare provider I met with was so helpful and attentive, making sure I felt heard and validated. The providers at the health center made sure I was prescribed a medication that was affordable both with and without health insurance. I went to regular appointments afterwards to ensure I was responding well to the medications.

Within a few months, my life had changed so much. I was able to walk into a classroom without feeling nauseous with anxiety. I could speak up and participate in class discussions without my voice shaking. I had so much more energy and motivation to do my schoolwork and study outside of class. My grades improved, I made new friends, and I started taking much better care of myself.

I continue going to bi-weekly appointments at the counseling center and every time it is easier to be open about my feelings. My mental health has improved so much from when I started, and I look forward to continuing to see the positive impacts of my decision to make that phone call.

Please know that this experience will not necessarily be the same for everyone. When seeking mental health care, it is so important to do research about your options so that you can make the choice that is right for you. It may seem scary at first, but you have to be honest with yourself about what you need and know that you deserve compassion when looking to meet those needs. In all the business that is life as a college student, please don’t forget to take care of yourself, not only physically, but mentally as well.

Leah Manning

Furman '24

Leah is a junior biology major with a women's, gender, and sexuality studies minor. She enjoys the outdoors, and loves to spend her free time hiking. She also loves the Lumineers and listens to their music any chance she gets. She hopes to eventually attend medical school and become an ObGyn. She is passionate about politics; particularly how they impact healthcare and disability services.