This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Furman chapter.

When my roommate, and one of my best friends, decided to study abroad my sophomore year I decided to fill the void with plants. I told myself that there was no way I could possibly be lonely if my room was a rainforest. And while my reaction was a bit extreme, it wasn’t completely invalid. Especially with most of us trapped inside for quarantine, I think it would be reasonable to invest in some greenery for your living space. 

Plants have been proven to clear contaminants from the air, up to 87% in only 24 hours. They increase oxygen in the home, which makes you healthier and happier! Plants also release water into the air and increase humidity, which helps you breathe easier and keeps your skin hydrated. 

Plants have also been proven to improve concentration and productivity, by up to 70%, the benefit of which cannot be overemphasized when most of us are stuck studying at home. 

Nature makes us more relaxed and calm and boosts our mood, so while a cactus probably can’t replace the benefit of a hike, it definitely can’t hurt to bring the calming greenery into your home. 

Making your space more green can also be a rewarding hobby, I can’t tell you how happy I get when I see one of my plants thriving. I think everyone should have as many plants as they can fit in their living space, though the recommendation for maximum improved health is one large plant every 100 feet. So treat yourself to some plants, I guarantee you won’t regret it!

Christina La Rosa is a Senior at Furman University, who is originally from Richmond Virginia. She is a Psychology major. She wants to support and encourage all women to be the best that they can be. She loves her dogs, chocolate chip cookies, and painting.