This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Furman chapter.

I will be 100% honest about my habit-making. I am a 9 wing 1 enneagram. That type one is super present in my life. I love following rules, making schedules, and color-coding anything and everything. I think this might be one reason that I am super excited to be a teacher. So much scheduling to do! I used to struggle with making habits. I was horrible about getting into the habit of washing my face every night (I know… ew!), working out, and drinking enough water (I write this as I drink my soda…) These tips really helped me focus on my goals and habits that I wanted to set. 

1. Make a habit calendar

This may sound crazy, but it will help you keep track of habits that you want to form. If you want to read for 20 minutes a day, schedule that into your Google Calendar or a desk calendar. 

2. Make a daily to-do list

I love writing and it often helps me remember things. This way, I can look at my to-do list and make sure that I can check off the habits that I want to build that day.  Even if I don’t look at my to-do list again that day, I am so much more likely to remember it if I wrote it down.

3. Stick to it!

One of the habits that I have been working on recently is working out every day. There are a lot of days where I do not want to move, and especially not to go work out. On my ultra lazy days, I choose a shorter workout. That way, I am still working out, but it’s a little bit easier.  

4. Make a goal with a friend

If your friend wants to eat better and you do, too, make a goal together. Maybe that means you check in with each other every couple of days by sending them a text to see how healthy eating is going. Maybe that means you have meals together to make sure you’re both following your healthy eating goal. 

5. Find some habit helper apps

Turns out technology doesn’t always have to be a time-waster. Find some apps that will help you keep track of your new habits. I have a workout app and a water tracker app. Through my workout app, I can schedule certain workouts for certain days. For me, Monday, Wednesday, and Friday are scheduled to be my cardio days. With my water app, I know that I am supposed to drink 64 ounces of water every day. When I have a glass of water, I put the number of ounces that I just drank into my water app. 

Helena Sherman is a senior majoring in elementary education and will be pursuing her master's degree in early childhood with +30 credits in literacy. She is a writer for HerCampus and is on the Heller Leadership Team. She describes herself as a curly-haired Jesus freak. Her passions include reading, talking, and musical theatre.